One of my favorite worship songs right now it "Oceans" by Hillsong. It has been for awhile. I'm sure if you go to church anywhere, you've probably heard it at some point over the past year and a half or so. Many times when we've sang it at church, it's become my prayer.
Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever you would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior
It's GOOD. But I always took the lyrics at face value until the other day. My small group coach, a Godly woman whom I look up to and who has poured into me and impacted me more than she knows, met with me and a few other small group leaders after church on Sunday. We talked small group stuff for awhile, but then she had a devotional for us that I haven't been able to stop thinking about since.
We read from Matthew 14, the story of Jesus walking on water and asking Peter to walk on water as well. Peter gets scared when he sees the wind and starts to sink. He calls out to Jesus, who rescues him. I've always interpreted that to mean that Peter got distracted by wordly things and starts to sink. When WE have our eyes on God and when WE get distracted by the world, that's when we will sink. Which, yes, is true, but my coach shared something about the passage that changed the way I view this passage.
She said she didn't necessarily see Peter doubting that he actually could walk on water. I mean, come on, Jesus was right there with him. Instead, Peter doubted that Jesus would rescue him when he was sinking and drowning.
Um, y'all.
I cannot even count the number of times I have been Peter, totally willing to walk on water for Jesus. Totally understanding that I will fail and I will fall and I will sink. But also totally doubting that Jesus will rescue me from that.
He will ask me to go beyond what I'm comfortable doing. He will ask me to do things I'm afraid to do. He will ask me to look at my heart and trust Him wholeheartedly. There's no doubt I will stumble and fall while doing this, but I have a trust in Him that He will be there when I do fall and He will rescue me when I'm drowning.
He will ask me to go beyond what I'm comfortable doing. He will ask me to do things I'm afraid to do. He will ask me to look at my heart and trust Him wholeheartedly. There's no doubt I will stumble and fall while doing this, but I have a trust in Him that He will be there when I do fall and He will rescue me when I'm drowning.
You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown
My feet may fail
And there I find you in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand
And I will call upon your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in your embrace
For I am yours and you are mine

No comments:
Post a Comment