Monday, June 17, 2013

Ghana

I've been trying to write this post for a few weeks now.  I just can't seem to get it written, and it's not because I've been super lazy this summer.

So I might have mentioned before that I am going to Ghana this summer on a mission trip.  I have gone on mission trips for the past two years to Ecuador, but by the first or second day in Ecuador last year, I knew God was calling me to go somewhere else.

Look, if I'm being completely honest here, I'm not ready.  At all.  I mean, I am writing this at nearly midnight the night before we leave.  I am more unprepared than I ever have been for a mission trip in my life.  And if you've been on one before, you know that you really can never be 100% prepared.  But I'm talking about the basic stuff- packing, having my devotional and testimony ready to share, making sure all my ducks are in a row back home.  I'm not prepared.

And it's not bothering me at all.  {Well, the packing is a little.  The piles of stuff are driving me crazy.}

But everything else is not bothering me.  I feel completely stress free and just ready to serve, which is a little amazing in and of itself because of all of the challenges my team has encountered for this trip.  Financial, travel, packing, logistical, you name it, me or my team has had that challenge.  It can be depressing and a huge downer when you focus on that instead of what we're being called to do.

However, I believe that the Lord is setting us up for a trip that is going to show just how great and amazing He is.

One of the pastors at my church recently spoke about how when he was younger, he kept saying he wanted to do great things for God.  Then, through a couple of different events, he changed what he was saying to he wanted to do things for a great God.  {He tells the story way better than I do, ok?}

That's how I feel.  Yes, in my head I think it would be amazing to go over to Ghana and see some amazing, great things being done for God.  Miracles, even.  Who wouldn't love to see that on a short term mission trip??

But I honestly will be happy just doing things for a great God...just worshipping with someone or having a conversation or spending time with the locals.  Just choosing compassion over selfishness.  Giving up the Earthly "good" life in order to glorify the Lord (see SheReadsTruth's study on Nehemiah Day 15...it's a good one).

I have no idea what these next two weeks will be like.  I have an idea of what kind of serving we will be doing (working in schools) and I have an idea of the population we will be serving (students and teachers), but that's pretty much it.  I don't know what God's going to show me, I don't know what He's going to teach me, and I don't know exactly how He is going to use me, but I want it to be His will, His way.

His will, His way.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be praying for you Elise!

Erika said...

So exciting!! I'll be praying for you-- can't wait to see pictures when you get back!

Michelle said...

amazing! I hope you have a wonderful trip and I can't wait to hear more about it.

Meghan said...

What an amazing opportunity! Best of luck and safe travels. I look forward to reading all about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS