Wednesday, October 16, 2013

DIY Kitchen Table Makeover

I should go ahead and start this post with two disclaimers.

1- I didn't actually do this makeover project.  I helped with one coat of polyurethane and that is it.

2- You are about to view some pretty amazing, high quality photos from my phone.  Please, no emails about photo sessions.  I am super busy and have many other commitments.

So, I have this kitchen table that is a pretty basic table.  As in, nothing fancy and certainly not a really nice table.  It's traveled with me from apartments to rental houses to my parents' basement and now in my own home.  It wasn't a table I want to keep forever, but it worked for me.

That doesn't mean I loved how it looks, though.  I liked the white base, but I didn't like the light wood stain.


Look, you can even see some of the tools we used!  Anyway, it was pretty bland before.

I got it in my head that it would look great with a dark stain.  I told my mom about that, and she jumped right on it.  She LOVES home improvement type projects.  More than anyone I know.  Every time I go over to my parents' house, she has redone some new piece of furniture or done something similar.

I mean, I went over to her house yesterday and she had a red dresser.  Then, I went over today (less than 24 hours later) and it was an antiqued ivory/beige color.

Getting distracted.  So my mom wanted to be involved with this project and I was happy to let her.  We had plans to strip and sand the wood and then stain the table and chairs.  Long story short, it was a much bigger deal than we thought because this wood is, well, cheap.  The table wasn't a big deal really, but those chairs were a beast.  I say that knowing full well I did nothing to help! :)

It took a lot longer than we planned as well, but part of that was because I was busy, my mom was busy, and this was something we/she did for a little bit at a time.

Here is the finished product!

Another disclaimer- the chairs still aren't perfect.  The stain isn't perfectly even, even though my mom sanded and stripped and sanded for what seemed like weeks.  The table looks amazing, although there are a few imperfections.  I like the imperfections, though.  It doesn't look picture perfect, and for once, I'm okay with that.

The view from my kitchen:


So again, I now love the table.  Will it be one I keep forever and ever?  Most likely not.  But I'm so much more happier with the darker wood color, and I think it changes the look of the breakfast area.

Also, if you would like to know how often I eat at the table now that I like it, the answer is zero.  I enjoy nearly every meal on my couch.

Now I'm off to go enjoy my fall break and clear out my DVR.  Peace out, cool people.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Oh wow!! The darker stain makes such a huge difference!! I love it! Nicely done!

a. nicole said...

Wow! I LOVE it! Can you send your mom down here to help me out????

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS