Wednesday, January 28, 2015

God Made Girls

So, y'all should know I don't really listen to the radio.  When I do, I usually hear a song for the first time, like six months after it's become popular.

Well, this past week I've been listening to the radio a lot and I remembered why I don't listen to the radio.

Because new songs are DUMB.  Seriously DUMB.  I heard this one country song over the weekend and it pissed me off so much that I've been stewing over it for the past few days.

So why not write a blog post about it?

The song is "God Made Girls" by Raelynn.  Have you heard it?  You can hear this wonderful song here.  

Now listen here.  I fully, 100% believe women and men are equal and should be treated as equals.  I also believe that women were designed, by God, to do certain things better than men, and I also believe that men were designed, by God, to do certain things better than women.

HOWEVER.

Can we talk about this absolutely stupid song?  I've put some of the lyrics here- my thoughts are in red.


Somebody's gotta wear a pretty skirt,
Somebody's gotta be the one to flirt,
Somebody's gotta wanna hold his hand so God Made Girls


God made us girls to wear skirts, flirt, and hold a guy's hand?  What. The. Actual hell?  That's it?  That's all we were made for?  Surely not...

Somebody's gotta make him get dressed up,
Give him a reason to wash that truck,
Somebody's gotta teach him how to dance,
So God made girls.


Oh, I see.  We were also made so a guy could get dressed up and wash his truck.  Because otherwise they would walk around and drive around in filth and wouldn't ever know when to clean up.


Somebody's gotta be the one to cry
Somebody's gotta let him drive
Give him a reason to hold that door so God made girls

A guy can't cry?  God made us so we could LET him drive?  Listen, I'm a terrible driver, I'll admit that.  If someone else wants to drive, fine.  But I'm not gonna LET some guy drive just because I'm a girl.  

Somebody's gotta put up a fight,
Make him wait on a Saturday night
To walk downstairs and blow his mind,
So God made girls.


Make him wait on a Saturday night?  Are we back in the 50's?  Quit playing games, girls.  You are not a Disney princess and this is not She's All That.  The whole world is not going to be waiting on you at the bottom of the stairs.


Something that can wake him up and call his bluff and drag his butt to church
Something that is hard to handle
Somethin' fragile to hold him when he hurts


Personally, I don't ever want to have to drag someone to church.  I also don't ever want to be labeled as hard to handle, or fragile.  So, no thanks. 

Seriously, I'm not one who gets all riled up when a guy holds a door open for a woman, or someone who gets annoyed when a man can do something better than me.  And I don't see anything wrong with being feminine AND being a feminist.  I love getting all dressed up and doing super girly things.

But that is NOT why God made me, or girls in general.  I understand this is just a stupid country song, but have we not gotten away from the whole mentality that women are just eye candy for some stupid dudes (I don't think dudes are stupid, I think they are made out to be stupid in songs and in some of the media)?  

Or the mentality that these stupid dudes are only interested in a pretty, flirty, absolutely zero substance girl?  

Because if not, that's kind of sad.

1 comment:

Erika said...

OMG. I haven't heard this song, but I'm totally disgusted/infuriated by the lyrics you wrote out. GROSS. Big thumbs down.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS