When I was younger and would ride around in the car with my mom, sometimes she would turn off the radio and just ask for silence. My mom just didn't want to hear the radio and the meaningless noise from it. We could talk, of course, but since I was moody (read: big ol' brat) in middle school and high school, I usually kept my mouth shut.
I never understood it because I always had to have noise or music in the background. Always, and it didn't really matter what kind of music or noise, I just wanted something to fill the silence.
But I get it now. I totally get it.
Tonight, we had Science Night at my school, and it was a lot of fun. We had a huge turn out with parents, and it was all hands on. I ran one of the science "experiments"- except mine wasn't really an experiment.
I did the activity where you make a butterfly using markers and water and coffee filters. I think I was supposed to talk about how the water made the colors separate and spread and so on, but there was at least fifteen kids in the room at all times and all at about fifteen different stages of the activity, so that didn't happen.
Anyway, I had meetings during planning today and after school up until Science Night, so I never got a chance to sit and be still. I had literally been talking and listening to adults and children since 7:30 am. When I left my school at eight pm to go home, I wanted silence. And I drove home for thirty minutes in complete silence.
And it was glorious.
And now this is how I am approaching all of my weekend plans-
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment