Our last three days in Greece were spent on a tour of classical Greece. I highly recommend doing this sort of thing. Our tour company covered all the details- our hotels, most of our food, and our entrance fees were covered in the cost. It was a much better experience having a guide take us around to all of these places.
Our first stop on the first day was Mycenae, which is a archaeological site that is from 15,000 BC or something like that. (I just checked Wikipedia- it is actually from around 1500 BC. So an extra zero. My bad.) Again, this is where I wish I would have gone to the National Archaeological Museum after this tour. There was an entire exhibit dedicated to Mycenae, and I had no frame of reference when I was at the museum.
We stayed in a hotel that reminded me of the 1920's or something. It was really pretty, and really huge. The town close by was also super adorable.
Our second day we hit Olympia. This was my favorite place on the tour. First of all, it was so beautiful with all the trees and ruins. Just beautiful. Second of all, it was Olympia! The site of the ancient Olympic games.
We took a fairly long drive on the coast (so it was really pretty) to end up at Delphi that night. The next day, we did the tour of Delphi. Delphi was nice, but like I said, I much preferred Olympia. I'm still glad I got to check it out. There were some pretty stunning views from Delphi.
In hindsight, this tour would have been something I would have done at the beginning of the trip. We were exhausted by the time the tour came around and sleeping in a different hotel every night and all that traveling was just totally unappealing.
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment