Monday, September 9, 2013

Five for Friday...err, Monday

Oh, heyyyy.  What's this thing called a blog?  Don't ask me, I clearly don't know.  I'm the one who takes a two week break unannounced.

I don't know what my deal is.  I actually started a few blog posts, but never finished them.  Truth be told, it's taken me four days to write this sucker.

I've been busy, that's for sure.  Weddings, Savannah, book club, dinners with friends...trust me, I've been busy.

So, here's Five For Monday...

1.  Thank you to this lady for introducing this song.  I am IN LOVE with it.   {BTW, if you don't already, go check out her blog.  She's hilarious.}



2. I watched the movie Jack the Giant Slayer over the weekend.  I thought it was going to suck at first (I didn't choose it), but it turned out to be pretty good!  Plus, Ewan McGregor was in it and hello, why did I now know how attractive he was?



3.  Look at the cutest cookies ever.  My cousin makes them.  She only makes them for fun or for family, but they are some of the best sugar cookies ever with the best tasting icing.



4. Yesterday at church, my pastor brought out a guy with two rattlesnakes to illustrate a point.  I saw them twice- once when I was outside of the sanctuary and then once when I was in there for the service.  I didn't realize how terrifying poisonous snakes are to me.  I was sweating and jumping all over the place.

No, thank you.

5. I've been really thinking about this whole blog thing anyway.  I know I've mentioned this before, but I just don't care for blogging like I used to.  I follow a bunch of blogs, but only actually read a select few.  And my blog, well, who knows about my blog?  I started it to keep a record of what was going on in my life.  But three years ago I was surprisingly less busy even though I was in grad school.  And I cared more, honestly.

But now, I just have no desire to keep up with it.  Well, not entirely, but mostly.  Every time I go to blog I end up comparing my blog and myself to other people's cuter, more successful blogs (more on the cuteness than the success...I do not have time/desire to keep up with a super popular/successful blog).  Then I start thinking about paying for a new blog design just to keep up with all those other blogs out there.  And that starts a horrible cycle.

Blogging has been awesome, yes, but at the same time, it's been terrible.  It has caused me to spend more money than ever before because I hear of this new product or this new shoe or whatever.  And let's not even talk about the comparing that goes on with my actual life vs. Every Other Blogger.  Who's married, who's not, who has kids, who doesn't, who has a better/nicer/bigger house than me, etc etc etc.

It's. Not. Healthy.  And it needs to stop.  This is why I quit Facebook awhile back (and why I keep saying I'm going to quit again...).  It's a sin and it makes my life worse, so why continue?  The comparing, that is.

And the worst part about all of it?  Blogging, Facebook, and social media in general is a HUGE TIME SUCK.  HUGE.  I come home from 11-12+ hours at work to spend another two or three on the internet.

What a waste of my time.  There are 10,000 other things I could be doing that are 10,000 times more beneficial and healthier for me.  And I mean that physically, mentally, and spiritually.

There are a few blogs that I genuinely enjoy reading and do not walk away feeling worse about my life (or, even worse, more self-righteous about my life...but that's a whole 'nother post for a different day).  But the thing is, for me, it's an all or nothing thing.  I'm not one of those people who can have a handful of M&M's and that will satisfy me.  No, I eat the whole freaking bag and then eat a bowl of ice cream to follow up.

I'm not sure I could just read a few blogs and that's it.  I think it would come right back to reading a bunch of blogs, wasting a bunch of time on worthless websites (I'm talking to you MFAM, SBB, BuzzFeed), and then wondering where the evening went.

Oh my gosh.  This is not what I intended at all.  I completely went off on a rambling tangent.  Eh, sorry.  Guess that's what happens when you don't blog for two weeks.  And when you start reading this book.

I guess my point is...I don't know where this blog is going.  I don't know how much I'll keep updating it.  I do know I waste too much time with internet-y things and it isn't always good for me.  I do know I don't want to spend a bunch of my time on the computer or remembering to take pictures for my blog or thinking about how I should share this on my blog instead of living life.

So, that's all.  That's where my head has been lately.  And my life.

Happy Monday?  Maybe kinda sorta?

3 comments:

Erika said...

I will miss you if you stop blogging. So I vote no. If you quit, you will have to make it up to me by mailing me some of those cookies. Every week.

a. nicole said...

girl. i know what you MEAN! i just talked about this (sort of) on my blog today. the social media world has an evil side to it, for sure. whenever i get around to the blog world (once a year lol) yours is the first i come to see!! i will miss you too :) also, i second the cookies. it's a high price to pay for abandoning your virtual, sometimes friends! :))

a. nicole said...

PS:
this -(or, even worse, more self-righteous about my life...but that's a whole 'nother post for a different day).

this - wasting a bunch of time on worthless websites (I'm talking to you MFAM, SBB, ***BuzzFeed***), and then wondering where the evening went.

and THIS book!! - Guess that's what happens when you don't blog for two weeks. And when you start reading this book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS