Tuesday, October 7, 2014

#Blogtober 14: Best Trip Ever

As I've mentioned a million times before, I love traveling.  I love airports, I love flying, I love road trips, I love packing and planning, I love all parts of traveling.  I've been lucky enough to travel to some pretty awesome places- Ghana, Uganda, Italy, Belize, lots of places in the US, etc.  But probably one of the most memorable vacations/trips I took was when I was 20 years old and headed to Savannah, Georgia for St. Patrick's Day.



I went with five of my best friends from college.  We are still BFF's to this day, minus one person, but he kind of dropped off the face of the earth.  Last time I checked or heard about him, he had grown his hair into dreads and moved to somewhere in Central or South America to complete his Ph.D.  I'm not even kidding.  

So none of us have seen nor heard from him in over seven years.  

ANYWAY.  I have lots of family who live in Savannah and hotels are a beast to try to get on or around St. Patrick's Day.  My aunt had recently purchased a home that was about 15 minutes from downtown and offered to let us stay in it for free.  Only problem?  She hadn't moved in, so there was no furniture.

Like that was an issue.  You're offering a free place to stay to college students.  We are not going to turn that down.  We loaded up air mattresses, blankets, and pillows, and we were good to go!

What WAS a problem is that we couldn't figure out how to work the heat.  Savannah is tricky in the spring and fall.  It's not really cold at all, but sometimes the temps drop at night and randomly they'll have a cold front.  It was cold enough to turn the heat on, except we could not get the stupid thing to work.   {Until my aunt came by and told me all we had to do was just turn the stupid thermostat on.  That was it.  That was all.  We felt stupid.}

We were freezing the first night/morning.  Some of us even got in our swimsuits and filled up the jetted tub to warm up.  And we might have pretended to be in Cool Runnings.

We went to the parade, we hung out downtown and on River Street, we made new friends that we never saw again.  






There are so many inside jokes from this one weekend, eight years ago.  So many funny memories that no one else understands or finds funny.  

From the time we left to the time we returned to Atlanta, the trip was amazingly epic.  I HATE using that word, but it really was.  It's a trip all of us still talk about to this day.  We tried to recreate it the next year, but it just wasn't the same.  

Linking up with The Daily Tay and Helene in Between for the #Blogtober14 challenge... 

The Daily Tay

2 comments:

Helene in Between said...

who knew that georgia had such an awsome st patricks day?! looks like a blast!

Meghan said...

You are quite the seasoned traveler! :) I've always wanted to visit Savannah - it's on my must-see list!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS