Monday, November 11, 2013

Center of My Life

Oh my word.  How is it November 11th already?  Life has been insane lately.  I've tried to pop in a few times and blog a little, but I just haven't mustered up the energy.

I've been way too busy and stressed out.  I've been out of town for four of the past six weekends.  Work is work, so you know how that is.  I'm involved with my church and serving at my church.

I'm busy, but who isn't?  However, last night I was scanning through the Proverbs 31 devotional while sitting in traffic (yes, my life has gotten to that point...that should have been my first clue that I have a problem).  I was on my way home from a weekend in Savannah and got stuck in construction traffic.  It took me an hour to go ten miles.  Blechhhh.

Anyway, here are three short paragraphs that jumped out at me and totally convicted me.


Just like the people of that time, we can quickly get distracted, become busy, and inadvertently make our obligations and celebrations the focus of our attention. We gradually become self-centered instead of Jesus-centered.
Hypothetically, we may put Him in a box in the attic of our heart, only pulling Him out when the time is "right." This eventually leads to a life off-kilter and a heart full of holes, as challenges and pressures nibble away at our joy and peace.
It's one thing to believe in Jesus. It's another to make Him the center of our lives. When we make that important choice and remember to focus on Him and be thankful in all things, our hearts and lives stay in balance.

Um, I got served.  That's exactly what I've been doing, pushing Jesus away.  Not intentionally, no, but definitely every time I agreed to another commitment, another meeting, another ten minutes of sleep, another episode of some stupid show, another dinner planned with another friend, even another serving opportunity.  These aren't necessarily bad things, but when they are consuming you and your life, I think they are.

And my life is a reflection of Jesus being pushed to the side.  I've been slowly hurting relationships because I've put other, stupid stuff ahead of the people who mean the most to me, my body is being physically affected by my stressed out, overworked life, and I'm ungrateful and unhappy all the time.

That's not how I want to live, and it's not how I should live.  I know I can't guarantee a quick fix.  I know I can't say I'll start spending time with Jesus first thing every morning and then life will get better.  It just doesn't work that way.

This has to be an intentional change, an intentional part of my day- not when I'm stuck in traffic, not when I remember.

I never know how to end these kind of posts, so I'm just going to end it now.  I'm not sure if this makes much sense, either, but I just needed to get it out.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I am right there with you! Now that I have a baby, I especially want to make sure that faith is a huge part of her life - but I know it needs to be the center of mine first!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS