Thursday, April 19, 2012

Expedia, Biebs, and Pickles

Sometimes I get worked up over nothing.  Sometimes I get worked up over a very legitimate reason.

I would like to think this falls underneath the second category.  


Let me give you a little backstory.  I have an amazing friend that lives in Minnesota.  I haven't seen her, her husband, or her adorable five year old son in YEARS.  My friend Paula and I decided to fly up and visit her this summer.


We needed a hotel, flight, and a rental car, so naturally we went to Expedia where we could book all three.  I price-watched our flight until I saw a good deal and jumped on that.  


No problem, right?


Hello, Problem Number One:


Well, my wonderful surgery is scheduled eleven days before we leave.  I am not supposed to put any weight on my foot for the first week.  I did check with my doctor when scheduling the surgery and she said it would be fine to travel that soon, as long as I didn't do much walking.  Not a problem, doctor.  I hate walking for extended amounts of time.  


But I just didn't feel comfortable traveling so soon, so Paula and I looked into flying up to Minnesota on Labor Day, when there is apparently this super awesome state fair.


Enter Problem Number 2: 


At my work, if we take a personal day right before or after a holiday, we get our pay docked.  Labor Day is obviously a holiday, so I would be losing money in my paycheck.  I had also told Paula I would pay for the flight change fee since it was my fault.  



So, with all that information, I called Expedia to see how this would work out.  Well here is what I found out:

-To change our flights it would be $150 per person, plus whatever the new flight cost would be.
-I calculated the cost of me getting docked pay.  It will be almost $250.  With that and paying for the changing fee, it would cost me almost $650, at a minimum.  I just can't get on board with that when I've already paid a large amount of money to go.

-I also asked about just canceling my own flight.  If I cancel my flight, I only get a Delta credit which I have to use by March.  AND they will charge me $150 to rebook it when I do use it.  That's a load of junk, if you ask me.  The hotel and car will still have to stay the same.

With all of that information, I have decided to go to Minnesota in July.  Yes, it will be eleven days after surgery, but I am going to ask for crutches (and an aisle seat) to use so I won't have to put any weight on my foot at all.  

I am so pissed at Expedia.  I will never use them again, even though it's not entirely their fault.  Delta is to blame as well.  And maybe me since I clearly didn't read the fine print.  BUT STILL.  Why do they make it so hard to change your vacay plans??  

I'm calling this bullshit.  Sorry, I try to keep it clean here but I am so mad!!  

The only thing that makes me feel better is this song 




and these fried pickles that I will be consuming at Book Club at The Vortex tonight:




Friends.  Have you had any bad experiences with Expedia?  Or is it just me and my luck?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS