And it's in just over a month. To say I am not prepared is an understatement. I am pretty sure I was out of my mind when I signed up because I do not know why I ever thought I could do a triathlon.
Every time I've ever tried to train for something, a medical problem comes up. With arthritis and draining of the knee and then surgery on my foot in the past, I'm sure I'll end up getting something amputated this time around.
I guess you could say I really started training this week, but you could also say that I'd rather be eating Doritos and cheese dip instead. Both of those would be true.
Let's be honest, for a moment. I'm scared to death of this triathlon. It's not even a full triathlon, it's a super sprint. But it's still super daunting for a few reasons:
a- I am not a good swimmer. I like to float whenever I'm in the water, not actually swim, so the last time I really swam was probably when I was 11.
b- I haven't run two solid miles in forever. My heel's not really bothering me but my running is so irregular that I can't build up any endurance.
c- it's a triathlon. Enough said.
I suppose I could compare this to the time I decided to join cross country without ever having run a mile in my life and then having to run over five miles in one day. I did it, and then I did it the next day. And the next. And the next. And then I quit after my freshman year, but whatever, you know.
Anyway, so tonight I went for a bike ride and run with my friend that I'm doing the triathlon with. I would just like to say that I think we did pretty dang good. Well, she did better than me because I haven't been on a bike in at least sixteen years and she ran a half marathon last November.
Me? I sign up for races for the t-shirt and then leave.
So yeah, I guess I'm doing this triathlon. Let's pray I don't break an ankle or bust my face wide open from a bike accident over the next five weeks.
Now I am off to bed and to enjoy my yogurt and granola. Well, in reverse order, but you know what I mean, right?
Escape to the Country With Me
8 months ago

1 comment:
Go girl!! I think we are basically Triathlon Twins in our thinking, only you go through with it and I never have. Like once a year I'll be like "OH, TRIATHLON, WHAT A FUN IDEA! NEW TSHIRT!!" And I'll feel really excited, like...I Zumba, I can totally do a triathlon! Except then I remember that I can't run a mile, my swimming mostly consists of laying on a towel and drinking rum-based beverages, and I'm scared of riding a bike. (Well, not actually scared of the bike...scared of getting ran over by cars, which limits my bike riding to driveways, which isn't such a great training space. Also, I don't own a bike.)
So basically, we would be great triathlon partners. Except you would probably end up at least trying to do it, whereas I would sleep in that day. :)
Post a Comment