Ok, so here's the thing. I've been on many mission trips, five of them international. But I was completely unprepared for the way God worked in my heart on this past trip. I told a friend that I feel like God took my life, turned it upside down, and told me I was living it all wrong. The words I speak, the way I treat others, the way I view others, how I spend my time, all of it. Maybe not wrong, but definitely in need of some changes.
My aunt said I cried all the time, which is not entirely true. But I did cry a lot. It was hard not to. I didn't want to leave, for one thing. Our hosts were amazing, as well. Plus, I cry at everything anyway, so when my emotions are running strong...so are my tears.
Ghana Christian Mission is the organization we worked with, and they have a four part ministry: community development, christian education, medical outreach, and church planting. Our team mainly focused on the Christian education aspect, with some community development.
We worked in two different schools. We were at Faithway Christian School for the first week, and then at Awutu Papaase School for the second week. At both of the schools, we were there to support the teachers and develop relationships with the students and teachers. We did more observing/hanging out/supporting at Faithway and did more actual teaching at Awutu Papaase.
As a teacher, that was an incredible experience. In Ecuador, I had the opportunity to go into a school as well. I've also been inside schools and classrooms in Italy for a maymester back in college. I'm generalizing here, but schools are so different in other countries than they are here. What was so interesting, though, is that there were very little differences between the Ecuadorian and Ghanaian schools. I really could write a whole post on the differences and how interesting it was, but that would only maybe be interesting to fellow teachers. Maybe.
So anyway, we also went to a rural church on the Sunday we were there, and whoa. That was powerful. I hope this doesn't come off as creepy, but I like to watch other people worship. Some people do it with such abandon and it makes my heart smile to see that. Well, my heart was doing a lot of smiling at this church.
I can't believe that it's been a month since we've returned. It feels like it was forever ago, and it feels like I was there yesterday.
Anyway, here's the video from our trip. Enjoy!

1 comment:
That is awesome!
Post a Comment