I signed up for my half marathon today. It was a little scary. The mileage isn't really what scares me- it's myself. I can come up with eight million and a half reasons NOT to run this race, and it's over four months away!
Especially when I go to the gym and have a less than inspiring run. Granted, it's been three weeks since I've been to the gym last, but still. I had to walk for about half of my run today, and I only went two miles. And I'm supposed to do 13 in November?? And then I think about how I've gained back some of the weight I lost a few months ago and I just get so unmotivated.
I wish I had the confidence on my brother sometimes. I know a lot of his confidence is for laughs- he can be straight up ridiculous at times, but he really is one of the most confident people I know (in most areas).
Still. I can do this. I have four months to train and I have a training program that will slowly take me to where I need to be.
When I first started running when I was 14, I nearly died just running a mile. I didn't become great at it overnight. It took DAILY training and practice and runs to become better and to be able to do the mile warm up with no problem. I have to remember that this will take time and practice and it will not happen overnight.
I didn't become out of shape in one week, so I know I can't become a stellar runner in one week, either.
But I'm going to keep on running and walking and jogging and going to the gym as long as I need to. I just might need a few reminders every now and then that it is a gradual process to become a better runner. Or every day. You know, whatever works.

No comments:
Post a Comment