I have a confession.
I have irrational fears about A LOT of things. It's kind of ridiculous. Now, they haven't gotten to the point where they prevent me from doing things, but they will get so bad that I get a really nervous stomach or I will get really OCD about things.
My cousin and I are clearly related- we were talking yesterday about how OCD we get when it comes to leaving the house. Irrational fears will psych us out until we are checking every door and window and stove and straightener two and three times.
I know my old roommate Jessica probably got so annoyed with me when we would leave the house. It was guaranteed that at least once I would run back in to make sure my straightener was turned off and unplugged, to make sure the stove was turned off, or to make sure the door was locked. I've even turned the car around (or made her turn around) to go check.
Oh, and with my dogs? I'm so thankful I'm living with my parents this year and my mom doesn't work. When I lived in Athens last year, I would have a nervous stomach for a good part of my commute (thirty minutes, btw) after I left the house. I crated my dog Ace when he was a puppy. My other dog Marley stayed out, but Ace went in his crate every day. I had this IRRATIONAL FEAR that my house would catch on fire and poor Ace would be stuck in his crate. In my mind, my cat and Marley would be able to escape, but Ace would be stuck and it would just be horrible. Ugh, scares me even now. I also had a totally rational fear that if Ace were out, I'd come home to every single item in my house torn up. That boy was is one of the most destructive dogs ever. Now, my mom is home all day and my dogs are fine.
Let me tell you about my new irrational fear. I'm leaving for Chicago on Wednesday. I fly back Saturday morning (way too early, by the way). I am then supposed to go home, switch out my clothes in my suitcase, and drive down to Savannah. Where I will spend the night at my cousin's house and get up super early to leave for Orlando to fly out to Ecuador. A full 24 hours after I arrive in Atlanta on Saturday.
My fear? My flight coming back from Chicago will get incredibly delayed or cancelled and I will not have a way to get to Savannah on time.
It's not winter time, I checked the weather and for right now, Saturday has decent weather- scattered t-storms, and my flight leaves at 7 am.
My fear is not rational at all. But you know I'm worrying like crazy. Last time I shared an irrational fear and worrying about it with my friend Paula, she told me this: "Worrying about something is just a time for the Lord to show you how faithful He is." Or something like that. Basically, giving my fears and worries up to the Lord is what I need to do and this is a time for Him to show me, once again, how faithful He is. He totally showed up big time, by the way, on that last irrational fear. I know He'll show me once again how totally faithful He is.
Until then, I'm writing my paper and devising at least three different alternate ways to get home just in case I can't fly home.

3 comments:
I am the same exact way!!! (especially about the dog in the crate thing and the flat iron). I would keep my dog in her kennel but I started leaving her out for that exact reason. I always told my husband that I could replace everything in my house except for my Sippi!! I wanted to give her a fighting chance of being safe. And the flat iron, my husband gets so annoyed b/c I will be leaving in the mornings and have to turn around and go back home. I have done this so many times. Every time we go home to check it, it is always off!!! :)
I'm a worrier too--BIG TIME! I will cross my fingers for you that everything goes as planned, and have so much fun on your trips! Especially enjoy Chicago--that's where I live! :)
Hi there!! I love your blog as well, and it's nice to "meet" you! :)
Thank you for reading and becoming a follower, and I'm about to do the same for you! I'm your newest follower, and I'll add you to my "blogs to stalk" list. Haha!
Post a Comment