When I was in sixth grade, I was in the back of my dad's truck listening to Star 94 (those of you from the Atlanta area will know what I'm talking about) and the following song came on the radio. I loved the song immediately, but who didn't, right?
I eventually got the cd and the Backstreet Boys came out with a few more songs that I, of course, fell in love with. It wasn't until the end of eighth grade, though, when I heard this song and became a life long lover of BSB.
You know I went out and got the cd immediately. Actually, because my younger sister and I didn't get along at the time and wouldn't share anything, we had two copies in the house- one for her, one for me. I listened to that cd endlessly. I'm surprised my parents didn't take it from me and burn the back of it, like AJ does to Mark's cd in my favorite movie, Empire Records.
I loved all the boys, but Nick Carter was my favorite. I would read all the magazines that had them on the cover and would find out everything I could about him. Embarrassingly enough, I still know most of that information. Birthdate (January 28), favorite movie at the time (Alien), favorite actress at the time (Sigourney Weaver), favorite band at the time (Journey). Y'all, I was so lame.
![]() |
| I definitely had this picture ripped out of a magazine and stashed in my BSB folder. Yes, I had a BSB folder. Source |
![]() |
| Mr. Carter grew up quite nicely, if I do say so myself. Source |
Anyway, my mom took me and my sister to their concert in November of 1999. I think it was my first concert ever. IT. WAS. AMAZING. Seriously. I still have my concert t-shirt and sleep in it often.
I started listening to other types of music and kinda lost interest in the pop scene. But I NEVER stopped listening to BSB. Or Britney, but mostly BSB. I went to one of their concerts a couple of years ago, after Kevin had left the band and when AJ was doing his weird alter ego tour. I have to admit, it was not as good as the first concert I attended. It was more laid back, more instrumental. Not what I wanted from BSB. Because, you know, they're only out there to please me.
It was also about that time when New Kids on the Block started making their comeback. Even though they paved the way for BSB, they were not my favorite. I did totally love their music though. My older sister grew up in Savannah and I remember one of the times she came to visit, she brought some NKOTB tapes. I remember loving whatever she was listening to, but I was only five or six. I think. Maybe a little older. Either way, I loved the music, but I wasn't hooked the way I was with BSB.
Still, when BSB was touring again and then NKOTB went on their reunion tour, which, btw, was an amazing concert, I remember saying it would be my dream concert if the two bands joined together and went on tour. It's another dream concert of mine for Britney Spears and Dolly Parton to go on tour together, but there's no way that'll ever happen.
Well, clearly, I'm a genius because we all know now that the two boy bands are going on an epic concert tour this summer.
And if you've been reading my blog at all for the past few months, you know that I have tickets to see these two in concert, in Chicago. With my homegirl Jessica.
I'm leaving a week from today.
I'm leaving a week from today.
Watch out, Chicago. And if I don't return, it's because I've died from sheer happiness.



2 comments:
Well, I sure hope you don't die from happiness! But I hope that it is the most amazing concert of your life (though there is Garth and Dolly to talk about...we are going to have a lot of discussions about comparisons, I'm sure!). I know that NKOTB's concert is in my top 3, so I am sure this is going to be CRAZY! I love you--have fun and be safe!
I must say I am quite jealous!
BSB was my first and second concert.. Couldn't get enough!! I wish I was going to their concert... unfortunately I am the only one of my friends that wants to go! lol
Have a blast!
Post a Comment