Okay, I finally joined the times and read The Help.
It has been on my books to read list for over a year, but grad school and life kind of took over. And other books.
When I heard they were making it into a movie, I wanted to read it before I saw the movie and I finally got the chance this week.

I read the book in a day and a half. It was soooo good!
I was so surprised when I heard that The Help was Kathryn Stockett's first book. She does an amazing job of bringing the characters to life. I felt like I was sitting in the kitchen talking to them myself. I loved that you got three points of view- Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter.
I really don't want to give away a lot of the plot, but I'm sure most of you have either read the book or know what it's about. Skeeter decides to write a book about the maids that work in her town from their point of view. It's dangerous for all involved and, at times, I totally felt their fear. I also hated Hilly. I didn't like anything about her. She made me so mad throughout the book! I felt sorry for Elizabeth. She just seemed really desperate and like such a follower to me.
Minny was my absolute favorite. I loved her sass and I loved her attitude. I think it is a perfect match of her working for Celia.
I loved the ending of the book and the way everything turned out, but I kinda wish we got to see what happened further on down the road.
I had heard how good this book was, and what I heard was not a disappointment.
Have y'all read this book? Thoughts?
Who's going to see the movie??

1 comment:
I've been wanted to read this book so bad but like you, it keeps getting pushed to the back burner. Heck, I'm still on week 8 of what to expect. But I'm glad to hear you like it and will have to just buy it and read it already :)
Post a Comment