Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Open Face Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe

Two recipes from me in one week??  Say it ain't so!

Apparently, I can {kinda sorta with lots of direction} cook!

This past weekend, my cousin and I made this recipe.

Open-Face Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Source

It was surprisingly easy and we didn't screw it up!  There are a few changes I would have made and I'll mention those.  

The recipe is from Better Homes and Garden.  My mom used to get that magazine and Southern Living growing up and I swear, I was like a fifty year old in a twelve year old's body.  I LOVED reading both of those.  I picked out many house plans, many decorations, many dishes to make/eat, Southern towns to visit, and little housekeeping tips when I was growing up thanks to those magazines.

Anyway, here is the original recipe.  You can also find it HERE.


ingredients

  • 2
    Tbsp. olive oil
  • 14
    oz. chicken tenders
  • 2
    cups seedless red grapes, whole and or/halved
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6
    cups fresh baby spinach
  • 2
    Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1
    18-inch loaf baguette-style French bread
  • 4
    oz. provolone cheese, thinly sliced
directions
1.Preheat broiler. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; lightly brush with some olive oil. Place chicken and grapes in a single layer in pan; drizzle remaining oil then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil, 2 to 3 inches from heat, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and begins to brown.
2.For chicken salad, in a large bowl toss together spinach, cooked chicken, grapes, any pan juices, and vinegar.
3.Cut baguette in 4 portions, slice nearly through, place open on the baking sheet, then top with cheese. Broil 2 to 3 minutes to melt cheese. Layer open baguettes with chicken salad. Drizzle with any remaining dressing in bowl. Top with freshly ground black pepper.


Here is the one suggestion I would make:  The chicken tenders were kind of bland after being cooked.  Next time I make this, I will marinate the chicken for a few hours in some Italian dressing or Balsamic dressing.  I think it would have made the chicken more flavorful.

Here's what ours looked like:

I'm not a food photographer by any means.  I'm not even a photographer.  But this is what our chicken tenders and grapes looked like before broiling.

Our wheat bread, plus our provolone cheese that was split in half to fit.

Those cooked grapes were probably my favorite part of this recipe!

OH, and we used a loaf of wheat bread from the bakery instead of baguettes.  It was just as good.

I would also like to let it be known that the recipe says it only takes 25 minutes to prepare and cook.  It took us an hour.  That could have been because we are not that proficient in the kitchen, though.

This is easy, yummy, and I will be making it again.

The final product!

Let me know if you make it.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS