Monday, September 5, 2011

Savannah Weekend

I had a wonderful, long Labor Day weekend- I hope you did too!  Mine was filled with food and movies and driving.

I took my happy self down to Savannah for the weekend.  My family had planned a get together for Labor Day weekend, but as things typically go with my family, plans changed and it kinda fell through.

I still went, though- my brother and sister live there and I had made plans to see my cousin and some of the girls from our Ecuador team.

I decided to stay home Friday night and get up early Saturday am and drive down.  The drive is okay...it's four hours and I've driven it a bazillion times before.  I have recently discovered a GREAT way to pass the time on long drives- listen to sermon podcasts.  I download my church's podcasts, but I also get some of Andy Stanley's from NorthPoint Church.   

When I got to Savannah, I met my sister and her friend at my parents' house and we floated off the dock in the river for the afternoon.

It was perfection.

It really made me reconsider living in the suburbs.  I can promise you, if I lived in Savannah, I'd be on the river in some way, shape, or form every weekend.  

After floating for the afternoon, I made myself presentable and headed over to my cousin's house, where we made a delicious dinner for everyone.

Let me tell you something about cooking with my cousin: it doesn't turn out well.  Our food has been BEYOND bad or whatever we're making gets terribly burnt.

So when we set out to make these open face chicken salad sandwiches, I have to admit, we were both a little intimidated and were wondering if we could really pull them off.  

Open-Face Chicken Salad Sandwiches
NOT our sandwiches.  This picture is from Better Homes and Garden.

We did.  And they were really good!  Recipe will be coming soon.

After dinner and good conversation, we watched this movie:

Unknown Poster
Source

Unknown.  I had never heard of it until Saturday night, but it was pretty good!  It reminded me of a certain NCIS episode and of the Bourne movies, which of course I love.  Is it the best movie out there?  No.  But if you need a movie recommendation, there you go!

Sunday morning we got up and headed to church and then I hung out at my cousin's house and some other people came over.  

Sunday afternoon was SO productive for me.  I graded every paper that needed to be graded.  BOOM.  In a coffee shop on Broughton Street downtown.  It was so cute (except for the fact that it was Starbucks and I generally hate Starbucks) and I got distracted quite often by people watching.  There were SO. MANY. TOURISTS. in Savannah this weekend.  

AK47 and I were going to hit up Late Church downtown, but we decided to skip it and hit up some Mexican instead, where I proceeded to stuff my face full of cheese.  See, we had technically already seen the sermon at the morning service anyway. 

Back at her house, we watched another movie with my aunt/her mom.

Salt Poster
Source

I liked this movie more than I thought I would.  It was a bit violent, but I really liked the story for the most part.

This morning, I met my sister for breakfast and then hit the road.  Driving back home is the worst part of any trip, yeah?  
 
Now that I'm home, I'm currently enjoying the rain and thinking of ways to avoid this large pile of laundry and my dirty room.  If you can think of a way, please let me know!

I'm also thinking about how summer is unofficially over now that Labor Day is over.  I cannot wait for fall!  It's still fairly hot for awhile here in Georgia, but I'm looking forward to cooler weather for sure!

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS