So even though tomorrow is my first official day back at work, I'm going back today. I have a work-related training, and then I will be finishing up my room. I'm going to take some pictures right before Open House on Friday and then I'll put up a classroom tour post.
But, that's not what I came here to talk about. You know I've been laid up for the past four weeks recovering from heel surgery. I've actually felt really good for the past couple of weeks but it's really hard and really tiring to do a lot with crutches and a cast. And then if I try to do to much, my foot swells and sometimes turns purple, so I try to limit things.
I've stayed on the couch in front of the tv for most of the time. I've watched a lot of tv. I mean A LOT. I can tell you my whole tv schedule, but that's probably boring. And with the Olympics? I've been up late watching tv, too. I have read a lot, too, but I finished most of my books within the first week I was recovering. And when I'm not reading or watching tv, I'm checking Facebook, reading blogs, or looking around on Pinterest.
Y'all. I'm bored of it all. I'm sick of it and tired of it. I cannot WAIT to start school and have that occupy most of my day. Yes, in a month or so, I will probably be begging for my summer back. But right now, I hate that my life is so freaking consumed by tv and the internet.
And the worst part of it?
I can't believe I'm about to say this...
I almost wish I was working on another degree or taking more classes. I finished my master's last year and I just finished my gifted endorsement last month. When I was teaching and working on my degree or endorsement, I stayed so busy I didn't have time for a lot of things. Tv was the main thing that got cut. The only shows I watch pretty religiously are NCIS and The New Girl, but I usually DVR'd those and watched them on the weekend.
Still, my point is that I don't want my life to be consumed with tv and the internet. I don't want tv the only thing I can talk about because watching tv is the only thing I do. I used to think I could lay around for days on end and do nothing, but now that I have actually done that over this past month, I realize that I'm not really digging that. I'm not being challenged by anything and I feel SO lazy. Plus, I find it kind of ironic that I've never had such a desire to work out, even go for a slow walk, like I do now, and I can't. I think that's because my body does nothing all day long!
I started writing/thinking about this post last Friday and I made an effort not to turn the tv that day on until I had read my Bible, written in my prayer journal, and read a little bit of a book. And I took a bath and moved from my bed, which is upstairs, to the couch downstairs. That takes a lot of effort and causes some sweat.
And over the weekend, I went out to see a movie (which I guess is slightly similar to watching tv- but hey, I went out!) and worked on some stuff for school. And I did an arm workout with weights!
This afternoon, when I get home I'll probably go straight to the couch, prop my leg up since it will most likely be swollen, and then rest. And I will probably watch some tv, check blogs and Facebook. But at least I will have done other, productive stuff during the day.
I'm not completely cutting out tv and the internet. Lord knows there will be some days where I can't do anything except watch tv because my brain is so fried. I just don't want them to be the biggest part of my life and I'm going to work on that over the next few months.
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment