I especially loved August from the years 2003-2006. I spent those four Augusts at Berry College. Seeing my friends come back to Rome, starting a new semester, touring everyone's new rooms or houses were all my favorite things to do. I think the decision to attend Berry (and subsequently take out a bunch of student loans) was one of the best decisions I ever made. I met my best friends, I had the best time in the world, I tried new things, I learned more about who I was, I gained my independence- it was truly the best time of my life.
Berry is so unique. I'm sure everyone says that, unless you go to a super large university. And I'm sure all college students have an experience similar to mine at Berry, but there are still a few things that set Berry apart.
Like this video, for instance. This year's incoming freshman got the pleasure of a flash mob at their Viking Venture.
I miss that place so much. I miss not having any responsibilities or deadlines or meetings or a job, for that matter. I miss going to BOGO night at Moe's, I miss going to "study" at the library, I miss driving up and down Stretch Road, I miss the castles, I miss the freaking amazing scenery, especially during fall. I even miss the town of Rome. Except the greasy smell on the loop. I miss my house on Trove Drive, I miss my best friends being five minutes away, I miss Friday and Saturday nights at my house, I miss Rodeo Chicken sandwiches from Valhalla, I miss the Cook building and my education professors, I miss student teaching at Cave Spring. I miss knowing who everyone was, even if I didn't actually know them.
My five year reunion is coming up this fall. My ten year high school one is next fall, and I'm WAY more excited about my college reunion that my high school one. If I could go back nine years ago to August 2003 and tell my 18 year old self a few things, I think I'd use a quote from Tom Petty. So fitting, too, since I listened to him all the time in college.









No comments:
Post a Comment