Friday, May 27, 2011

Another Year Older

I turn 26 today.

I've said before, some people age gracefully.  Considering I have never really been that graceful in my life, I'm thinking I won't be one of those people.  I did say a prayer this morning thanking God for allowing me to get to another year.  Cause let's be honest, sometimes I'm not sure how I made it this far. 

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I turn another year older, I always think about what the past year has held, where I thought I would be, and where I am now.  It causes some reflection.  

I've seen a lot of lists that people write on their birthdays- listing favorite moments from the past year, list things learned, list of bad moments, and so on.

I thought I would do something similar.

I made a list of things I've learned (or have just accepted) by 26.  Some of these are serious, some of these are not so much, some are about life, and some are just about me.

I've blogged before a few things I've learned HERE, so you can check that out too.  (And you might see some repeats!)

1. My parents really are awesome.  Yes, they really did know what they were talking about when I was 14.  Yes, I should have treated them with more respect.  Yes, they'll still drive me crazy until I'm dead, but I love them.

2. I still can't cook.  No joke.  And why bother when I've got some pretty amazing cooks (my mom and my sister) to mooch off of for as long as I can?  My mom won't let me make anything for Thanksgiving.  I get to make tea.  And fill the cups with ice.  Yes, I may be 26, but I get the chores of a 6 year old.

3. My friends are pretty amazing, too.  New ones and old.  They've got my back and I've got theirs.  They don't judge me, they love me in spite of my flaws, and they're pretty fun.

4. There's nothing like going back to your childhood.  When I lived in Athens, and a little in college, one of my BFF's Jessica and I would get out the Super Nintendo every now and then and get on a kick playing Donkey Kong and Super Mario Brothers.  We'd come home from our full time, adult jobs and play Nintendo like we were kids again.

5. I don't do scary movies.  I've given myself plenty of chances.  They scare me to death for DAYS.  I have finally learned that they will ALWAYS scare me, no matter what.

6. There are some friendships that are not meant to last.  And THAT'S OKAY.  I have come to realize that there are some people that I needed to cut ties with and move on.  It's hard, but my life is better for it.

7. When you think your life is falling apart, it might be.  But only for you to put the pieces back together into something even more beautiful.  It will take time and acceptance, for sure.  But it's so worth it in the end.

8. My mom was right when she told me at 17 that eating junk food all the time would catch up to me.  

9. Life's too short to worry about tomorrow or two weeks from now or next year.  I still catch myself worrying, of course, but I don't want to waste my todays thinking about what may or may not happen tomorrow.

10. NCIS is the best tv show out there.  Hands down.  And then all tied for second- Deadliest Catch, America's Best Dance Crew, Grey's Anatomy, Will and Grace, and So You Think You Can Dance.

11. I am saved by the grace of God.

12. At some point, we all have to own up to our past mistakes.  Yes, I have screwed up.  Yes, I have hurt people.  Yes, I have failed.  I do NOT, however, have to let those mistakes define me.  I do NOT have to dwell on them.  I do NOT have to let them hinder me from living my life.

13. Retail therapy is an honest to goodness form of therapy.  It's my personal opinion a few hours at my favorites stores with a credit card and a milkshake can cure most problems.  Sorry, Dave Ramsey, it's true.

14. I will always procrastinate.  I'm supposed to be writing 5 abstracts for articles that are due....um...RIGHT NOW.  And I'm blogging.  Oh well, I just need to accept this.  Which leads me to the next thing I have learned...

15.  The things that need to get done- they will.  So it's okay if you go to dinner when you should be writing a paper.  It's okay if you meet a friend for coffee or to talk instead of grading those papers.  They'll get done!  I promise!

16. I'll never be a size zero.  I'll never be supermodel skinny.  And I'm okay with that (most days)!

17.  Smile often.  Not because "you never know who is watching" (annnddd that's just creepy), but it'll put you in an immediate good mood.  Maybe only for a minute, but maybe that minute is what you need to get through the day or even the next hour.

18. I hate grad school.  Sorry, not everything on this list can be positive.  Yeah, sure, I know I'm furthering my education.  But I'm tired of coming home after work and having to do a few hours of grad school work.

19. Don't judge a book by its cover is easier said than done.  I try my hardest not to judge people.  I really do.  I try my hardest not to let first impressions ruin my opinion of someone.  I'm usually so far off with them anyway.

20. I don't have all the answers and, frankly, I don't want to know all the answers.  How boring would life be??

21. You can't make everybody happy, but you gotta make time to make yourself happy.

22. Sometimes, the best days are when you do nothing.  We live life at such a fast pace these days (I talk like I'm 80 years old and know what life was like "way back when") and I don't believe we take the time to truly appreciate doing nothing.  Nothing as in, not thinking about what to do tonight, not thinking about what is due next week, not making a list of things to do, just spending time alone.  Or with friends and family, doing nothing.  Or with God.

23. Fancy is overrated.  My favorite hot dog in the world comes from a gas station.  My favorite sweatshirt is a hand me down.  Jeans, a t shirt, and flip flops are so much more comfortable than heels and a nice dress.  One of my favorite times at Thanksgiving was when we set up some tables out in the backyard at my parents' house in Savannah.  Their house is on the water and so we ate underneath this huge oak tree down near the water.  It was perfect.  And so far from fancy.

24. Be open.  Open to new ideas, new people, new love.

25. I haven't really learned that much!  Seriously, I'm only 26.  I can't believe I'm that old, but I am.  And I still have so much to learn about life, about people, and about myself.  I can't wait!

So there it is.  I thought I would do 26 things I've learned by 26, but this was hard enough.  If you stuck through this post, THANKS!!  

I've got big plans for today- laying in bed, watching TV, doing some reading.  I know, I know, so exciting.  I was going to head to the pool, but the weather changed those plans.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

I love this list! Great things to reflect on. And I'm the same way about scary movies! I can't sleep for days!

Michelle said...

Happy birthday! I think this is a great post, and you'll love to look back at it someday :)

ps --- 26 is the greatest yet for me, hopefully it will be the same for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS