Raise your hand if you like John Grisham.
![]() |
| Source: Google Images |
Raise your hand if you like thrillers.
Raise your hand if you're from Georgia (or anywhere else really) and you heard about the Troy Davis execution two weeks ago. If not, here you go.
Okay, then you're good to go with this book. Seriously. It's eerie how close this book is to the Troy Davis case.
I'm not going to get into my thoughts on the Troy Davis case or the death penalty, but I will tell you that reading this book, especially so close to the Troy Davis case, really challenges your thoughts on the death penalty. This book also makes you think about race relations in the courts and the penal system in this day and age.
Let's back up, though. I haven't even told you about this book.
The whole synopsis of the book is that this random guy walks into a pastor's office one day and confesses to a murder in Texas, two states away. The murder was nine years ago and they are about to execute the person who was convicted for the murder. Who, by the way, has been proclaiming his innocence the entire time. The real killer asks the pastor to take him to Texas to try and stop the execution (he suddenly feels bad because he is dying of a brain tumor). The reader sees the case from the point of view of almost everyone involved and it is COMPELLING.
The defense attorney has been fighting for Donte Drumm's innocence since day one. Reeva, the mother of the missing girl, has been proclaiming her hate for Donte since day one. The detective, prosecutor, and others involved feel confident in their actions since day one. The real killer has been almost amused that they have prosecuted the wrong guy. And obviously, Donte is confused as to how he ended up with a death penalty conviction.
I'm not going to tell you how it ends or what happens, but I'll tell you this: it amazes me when books evoke every emotion in me. Anger, hatred, disbelief, sadness, happiness, conviction. I cried and got really upset at one point and had to stop reading. But I picked the book up after about thirty minutes and continued. I'm glad I did. This book is by far one of the BEST books I have read this year and it is definitely the best book I've read in book club as of yet.
There is also one part that reminds me of one of my favorite movies- The Usual Suspects- and of Kevin Spacey's character. I'm not going to spoil it, though.
There is also one part that reminds me of one of my favorite movies- The Usual Suspects- and of Kevin Spacey's character. I'm not going to spoil it, though.
Any of y'all read this book? Thoughts?



No comments:
Post a Comment