Saturday, October 8, 2011

Heel Update

I went to my good ole orthopedic doctor on Thursday.  I really do love my orthopedic doctor and I don't mind driving an hour to go see them.  I have changed a few doctors since moving out of Athens, but that is one doctor I will not change anytime soon.

Anyway, like I had predicted to a friend beforehand, they took an x-ray of my foot and saw nothing.

I saw the PA...let me get on a little tangent here.  I LOVE seeing PA's.  I see the PA at my dermatologist, my parents's old regular doctor's office, I've seen the orthopedic PA before, and I think there's another one. They are so much better, in my opinion, than seeing the actual doctor.  They always seem less rushed, more interested in you, and just nicer all around.

Okay, back to my heel.  The PA examined my heel and said it was most likely one of two things...a stress fracture {what I had assumed it was at first} or a partially ruptured tendon- that may or may not need surgery.  I'm definitely praying for the stress fracture.  There is a small possibility it could just be a really inflamed tendon, too, but the other two is what she kept saying it was most likely.

I have to go get an MRI next week and then I'll go back for a follow up a week after that to hopefully get some answers.

After talking with my doctor, I have definitely decided to pull out of the half marathon.  It stinks, but continuing to run hard core and increase my distance will not help either of those two scenarios.  It could completely rupture the tendon and then I'd HAVE to have surgery {if it is, in fact, a partially ruptured tendon}. 

She did say I could hold off running until we find out for sure what's going on, but that won't be until October 20th.  The half marathon is November 5th.  That's not enough time to get back to running a proper amount.

The only good thing about my doctor's appointment is that I was able to have dinner with some really good friends and then crash at their place.  And we found a place to stay for St. Patrick's Day in Savannah next year.  Yay!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS