Thursday, October 6, 2011

Stupid Heel Injury

My first running injury came when I was 14.  I pulled the muscle that is on the back of your knee.  I have no idea what it is called, I just know that it HUUUURRRT when I tried to run on it for a couple of weeks. And then it healed itself and I went on my merry little way.

Fast forward to age 24.  My knee was intensely swollen, extremely painful, and hot to the touch.  I went to a few doctors, got some x-rays and an extremely expensive MRI, and was told I first had rheumatoid arthritis, but then I really just had osteoarthritis.  You know, old people arthritis.  And I would eventually need a knee replacement.

Not exactly good news to a 24 year old.  Anyway, I started exercising, eating a tad bit healthier (and by that I mean I didn't eat out 5 times a week- only 3), and tried to deal with my knee.  I started running again, which was actually not recommended by my orthopedic doctor.  But, in my defense, I haven't taken any pain medicine for my knee in over a year and it hasn't swelled up or anything in over a year.  I had a minor issue earlier this summer and I do feel some pain every time I run, but I can usually deal with it and run through it.  

My knee has actually been okay during my training.

About three months ago, I started to feel a really sharp pain on my right heel.  It would usually be the worst when I would get out of bed and put pressure on my heel, but I would feel it throughout the day.  I didn't really think anything of it until I started feeling it when I ran.  It would come and go, but I felt it almost every time I ran.

I was doing some internet diagnosing (I know, not smart) and realized that it probably was something I shouldn't ignore, especially since my half-marathon is in six weeks.  I called my orthopedic doctor and made an appointment to see what was going on.  I stopped running the day I made the appointment.  I was thinking I could still go to Centergy or some spin classes, but honestly, I've been quite lazy these past few days.  And it's been nice!

My appointment is this afternoon and I really have no idea what to expect.  Online diagnosing tells me it could anything from a stress fracture to a pulled muscle.  Although since it is my bone that is hurting...I'm kinda thinking it's not a muscle, unless I just don't know my own anatomy.

I'll have to be honest, regardless of the outcome I'm thinking the half marathon is out for me.  Clearly there is an issue with my heel, whether it's serious or minor.  I haven't run at all in over a week, yet my heel still hurts each day.  I know my training was kinda spotty at first and when I finally got on a schedule, I kinda went hard core.  I'm sure overtraining is what caused my injury.  

I'll let you know what happens when I find out!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS