Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Book Review- The Adults

When our book club first started, we had an unintentional theme of dysfunctional, southern families.  We got out of that over the past few book choices, but this book definitely went back to the theme of dysfunctional families.



Here's the synopsis from Amazon.com:  

At the center of this affluent suburban universe is Emily Vidal, a smart and snarky teenager, who gets involved in a suspect relationship with one of the adults after witnessing a suicide in her neighborhood.  Among the cast of unforgettable characters is Emily’s father, whose fiftieth birthday party has the adults descending upon the Vidal’s patio; her mother, who has orchestrated the elaborate party even though she and her husband are getting a divorce; and an assortment of eccentric neighbors, high school teachers, and teenagers who teem with anxiety and sexuality and an unbridled desire to be noticed, and ultimately loved.

An irresistible chronicle of a modern young woman’s struggle to grow up, The Adults lays bare—in perfect pitch—a world where an adult and a child can so dangerously be mistaken for the same exact thing.

I liked this book.  It's not my favorite book we've read, but it was an easy read and quite interesting.  Emily, the main character, is messed up.  Without giving away the book, she's in a toxic relationship for years and it's a mess.  And the guy she's in the relationship with?  I liked him at first (aside from the whole creepiness/inappropriateness/toxic aspect), but then by the end of the book, I was so over him.  And Emily.  And their whole relationship.

I guess the whole idea that we never really grow up and become adults is there in the book, too.  I know at 26, I still am amazed that I'm considered an adult when I don't feel like one 99% of the time.

Still, anyone ever read this book?  Thoughts?

1 comment:

JennWren said...

Didn't read the book, but I can relate to not feeling like an adult. I still have to remind myself sometimes that nobody is going to pick up after me and help me make big decisions...and I'm 36.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS