Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

It's no secret I love quality kid's books.  Picture books, chapter books, you name it, I love it.  It's one of the reasons I became a teacher.

Well, I keep my classroom library pretty stocked, but there are lots of books in there I haven't read.  During our DEAR time this year, I've been going through the books and reading them.

I have come across one of my new favorite books.  I cannot believe I never read this book as a child (it was released in the seventies).  I was such a bookworm.  Nerd alert: I even read books in the bathtub.

Amazon.com

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

This book is SO good.  Even if you're not a teacher.

Mrs. Frisby is a widowed mouse who has to move her house before the farmer destroys it with his plow.  The only problem?  Her youngest son is sick.  So she enlists the help of these mysterious rats to help her out.  However, these rats have their own story to share.  And it is GOOD.

As soon as I was three chapters in, I knew this book was a keeper.  It was also one of those books that I knew would be a GREAT read aloud for my kids.  Each year, I'm always surprised as to what interests my kids.  One year, they were HUGE fans of Island of the Blue Dolphins.  Another year, they were really into Walk Two Moons, but not Island.  Still, I think this book would be a hit for all groups.

I cannot wait to share this book with my kiddos!  Any of you (teachers?) ever read this book?  What were your thoughts?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS