I don't do Lent. I grew up Southern Baptist and it just wasn't something we did. I've given things up for different reasons, yes, but never for Lent (although I vaguely remember talking about doing it in college...but I don't think so). I don't plan on doing it anytime soon, either.
But, let me clarify something right now. I am not giving technology up for Lent. I am not giving up anything for Lent.
I am, however, disconnecting myself a little. I'm done with the celebrity blogs, I'm done with obsessively checking facebook and blogger. Once a day and that's it, if that. I've even considered completely getting rid of facebook, except my small group keeps in touch that way. Thank gosh I don't have twitter because I couldn't imagine how often I'd be on that thing.
I've developed this awful habit of coming home, saying wassup to my mama and my dad, and then going up to my room and secluding myself there for the rest of the night. When I first moved home, I was knee deep in grad school and taking several classes at a time, plus teaching full time. I don't recommend that, but I had to have some time to myself to get work done. When I finished grad school, that "time to myself" continued.
I hate it. I've been given this great opportunity to live at home again. Seriously. I complain about it, but I really am thankful to spend time with my parents again as an adult. It's frustrating at times, yes, but our relationship is SO different now than what it was when I was in high school or even in college. I know that when I move out again, I will {most likely} never be back. And yes, that makes my tender little heart sad.
But I'm wasting this time at home. I could be hanging with my mom and dad, having meaningful conversations with my family instead of spending time commenting on blogs and checking status updates on the FB for people I don't even really know or like.
Really? When did those people become more important than my own family, or even worse, God? It's almost like technology has become my idol. It certainly does keep me from spending time with my family, and definitely from the Lord. Isn't that the definition of an idol- when something becomes more important than God? I can't tell you how many times over the past few weeks I've stayed up to read blogs or something else, but I can't stay up to read my Bible or do my Bible study. There's something wrong with that picture.
My mom and I got into a pretty big argument last weekend over something stupid. But it forced us to be honest with each other and now I'm going to make a conscious effort to spend less time on the computer and more time with my family.
I still will post blog entries. I like blogging, I like keeping a record of my life, I don't want to stop. I've just got to do a better job of balancing out the time I spend in the "real" world and the time I spend in FB or the blogging world. That makes me sound like I've got a Second Life, but I don't, I promise.
This is probably one of the most rambling posts ever. Love you all lots if you stuck with me. I know it seems kind of ironic or counter-productive to sit here and blog about not spending enough time with my family, but I guess I'm just giving a heads up if I'm not around as much. And to give myself some accountability.
So, with that being said, I'm out for the night.
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment