Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book Reviews: Everything Matters! and The Call

I'm killing two birds with one stone because I'm behind on book reviews.

For our February book club, we read Everything Matters! by Ron Currie, Jr.  I can sum it up in one word:  weird.

Both book photos courtesy of Amazon.com


This book was weird from start to finish.  It had a really interesting format and I really enjoyed the different character viewpoints.  I felt the characters, especially Junior, were really well-developed.  But oh my gosh, it was strange.

Here is Amazon's description:

In infancy, Junior Thibodeaux is encoded with a prophesy: a comet will obliterate life on Earth in thirty-six years. Alone in this knowledge, he comes of age in rural Maine grappling with the question: Does anything I do matter? While the voice that has accompanied him since conception appraises his choices, Junior's loved ones emerge with parallel stories-his anxious mother; his brother, a cocaine addict turned pro-baseball phenomenon; his exalted father, whose own mortality summons Junior's best and worst instincts; and Amy, the love of Junior's life and a North Star to his journey through romance and heartbreak, drug-addled despair, and superheroic feats that could save humanity. While our recognizable world is transformed into a bizarre nation at endgame, where government agents conspire in subterranean bunkers, preparing citizens for emigration from a doomed planet, Junior's final triumph confounds all expectation, building to an astonishing and deeply moving resolution. Ron Currie, Jr., gets to the heart of character, and the voices who narrate this uniquely American tour de force leave an indelible, exhilarating impression.


Aside from the strangeness and strong sci-fi aspect, it was a pretty decent book and the ending was pretty good.  I could see this becoming a movie.


****************************

Our March pick was The Call by Yannick Murphy.  This was a super easy read, and it was also in a really interesting format.  It follows a horse veterinarian in rural New England a little before and then after his son gets shot by a hunter and goes into a coma.



Again, here's Amazon's description:

The daily rhythm of a veterinarian’s family in rural New England is shaken when a hunting accident leaves their eldest son in a coma. With the lives of his loved ones unhinged, the veterinarian struggles to maintain stability while searching for the man responsible. But in the midst of their great trial an unexpected visitor arrives, requesting a favor that will have profound consequences—testing a loving father’s patience, humor, and resolve and forcing husband and wife to come to terms with what “family” truly means.


I really felt that this book threw in some random elements and a couple of them, in my opinion, had no purpose and no resolution.  Still, parts of the book were very humorous and it was an enjoyable read.


Do you have any good recommendations for books to read?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS