Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Family Dinners

My brother came up for a very short visit on Sunday.  He was up for his friend's wedding on Sunday and stayed through Monday night.

He moved to Savannah a few years ago and he's not able to visit often, especially in the summer (he works at a marina).

My favorite picture of my brother.  I stole it from his Facebook.

We had a family dinner, which we NEVER have anymore, except on holidays.  My brother lives in Savannah and my sister did, too, up until two months ago.  It reminded me so much of high school and middle school.  Our family always ate dinner together.  Always.  The tv had to be turned off and phones couldn't come to the table.  We weren't really allowed to miss it.  Even when my sister and I pretty much hated each other and wouldn't speak, we would have to eat together.  Even when we started working, we would eat earlier just to have those dinners together- I'm talking like four pm early.

Nine times out of ten, dinner would end in an argument.  But I have said before that my family's love language is arguing.  ; )

Even with the arguing between siblings or even with my parents, I still cherish those family dinners.  I know so many of my students do not have family dinners due to sports, activities, parents' jobs, or whatever reason.

I know that when I have kids (and it's look iffy these days), I want family dinners to be a priority.  Yes, I might have to learn to cook something other than a lean cuisine or chicken parmesan or a cheese quesadilla (my three specialties), but I'll do it to start that tradition with my own family.

What do y'all think?  Did y'all have family dinners?  Do you think family dinners are losing their importance?

1 comment:

Erika said...

I think family dinners are super important, and I love having the opportunity to have them even now, with our grown siblings! Even though it's just the two of us, Matt and I eat together (in the dining room, not on the couch) every night...laying the precedent for future family dinners, I guess!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS