Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Only On A Mission Trip

Some of you may remember I traveled to Ecuador last summer on a mission trip.  You can read about it here and here.  I fell in love with the people and the land.  Uganda still holds a large part of my heart, but now Ecuador has got some of it as well.

I'm going back in just a couple of weeks with most of the team from last year.  I, along with most everyone else on the team, am so PUMPED about getting to go back.

There's nothing like going on a mission trip.  I've traveled a lot, on mission trips, for school, and for vacations, and let me tell you what.  Going to Uganda or Ecuador on a mission trip is a WORLD of difference compared to traveling through Italy for a Maymester.  For one thing, you get to take a hot shower in Italy!

Here are a few things I've learned through my travels:


Only on a mission trip do you learn how to shave your legs with a hose.  And outside on a sidewalk.  


Only on a mission trip do you become extremely proficient at braiding hair because it is the only way to hide everyone's dirty hair.  


Only on a mission trip do you excel at taking cold showers in less than three minutes AND still get clean.  And that's when the water is working.

Only on a mission trip do you eat things you never thought you would.  Goat?  Flan?  Unidentifiable white chunks of something that are weirdly chewy?  Check, check, check.


Speaking of food, only on a mission trip do cheap sugar wafers become a hot commodity.


via



Only on a mission trip is a flushing toilet NOT taken for granted.  Or any toilet, for that matter.  Hey, it's better than a hole in the ground in a hut.  

But...

Only on a mission trip does speaking the same language not matter at all.  Your intentions and love are still crystal clear.








Only on a mission trip do you meet people who you will never, ever forget.  







Only on a mission trip do you get to selflessly serve others without any expectations.  






Only on a mission trip do you get to be humbled over and over in ways you didn't expect.







Ecuador, I hope you're ready for us.

"I thank my God every time I remember you."  Philippians 1:3

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS