Okay, fellow bookworms. I need some help. I love to read, but lately I've been making some terrible book choices. I'm in a monthly book club, so I always have at least one book I'm reading. But I also want to read some books outside of book club.
(I chose this month's pick: This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Loved this book!)
When I went to go get this month's book from the library, I checked out a few other books that caught my eye as well. They all SUCKED. Like, I-couldn't-even-finish-the-book-and-skipped-to-read-the-last-few-pages SUCKED.
It's getting to the point where I only want to reread books I actually own. I hate buying books unless I've read them already and know I like them- there's nothing I hate more than spending $10+ on a book and it being horrible. Let me tell you, if I had paid for those books I just read, or tried to read, I'd have died.
I actually have a ton of books on my Goodreads To Read list and my Amazon wish list, but I feel like I need to branch out and get other options. Plus, I am saving some of those for future book club picks.
So, any suggestions? I am typically open to most genres and books, except Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. I can't get on board with either of those.
Also, I did just come across this website on Pinterest, What Should I Read Next? Apparently it gives you book suggestions. However, I still like to hear from other REAL people.
Escape to the Country With Me
8 months ago

4 comments:
I'm no help, it's been over a year since I've read a book! I'd love to get back into reading though, so I'll definitely be paying attention to these comments and checking out that board!
OK I just went and stalked you down on Goodreads and added you as a friend. You definitely need to review a lot more books on GR so that I can get a sense for what kind of books you even like so that I can make more educated recommendations. But I am all on this for you, girl!! I spend ALLLL my time reading! Do you have a Kindle? (This will help me know whether to tailor my recommendations to books that are free on Kindle...)
I was about to tell you about Goodreads but someone already did ^^^! I love memoirs and non-fiction, but I do read fiction here and there. I do not read book series; I hate those. So some books I have loved: "The Man in the Rockefeller Suit" by Mark Seal - couldn't put this one down! It is a biography-type book by a journalist who followed the story of a guy who was a con man and made people believe he was a member of the Rockefeller family (it's a lot like the movie "Catch Me If You Can"). I also loved "Room" by Emma Donoghue. I DEFINITELY couldn't put that one down and it is fiction. "Where You Left Me" by Jennifer Gardner Trulson - very sad; a true story about a 9/11 widow. "Saturday" by Ian McEwan - very slow and tedious, but by the end I was glad I read it. "Death Be Not Proud" by John Gunther - an older non-fiction work, but I loved it. I have tons more that I would recommend, so just let me know if you'd like to hear about any more!
Have you ever read anything by Karen Kingsbury? She is amazing! Start with her Redemption series and you will be hooked for life!
Post a Comment