I'm going to get a little serious here today. It's something I've been struggling with a lot lately.
Sometimes I feel like I've been left behind. Not literally, of course, but in every area of my life.
The other morning, I was dealing with another screw-up I had created with my finances. It was so upsetting because this happens every month. Not as big as this particular thing, but something that I mess up with my finances- I forget a bill even though I have a budget in a nice little spreadsheet, my dog decides to eat a bottle of pills and I have to pay for a vet bill, or I just overspend in general.
If you know me in real life, you may not believe this, but I was raised to be financially responsible, I really was. My dad is one of the most financially responsible people I know. He always pays things off early or pays for things in cash, and not just because he has a good income. And he uses credit cards, but rarely and then of course, he pays them off in full every month. My dad could have written Dave Ramsey's book himself. Anyway, I try my hardest to do the same thing, but I feel like I can never catch a break with my finances. Like, could I just even win something off of a scratch off lotto ticket??
And then there's people, one person in particular, at work who just have it all together. And everything awesome happens to them, especially when you really want the same things and you don't get them. Like, I feel like other people get recognized for the same stuff that I do (and let's be honest, some of it I do better...and still being completely honest, some of it I don't do as well), but I never get recognized for it. And then here I am, miserable and bitter because I feel like I got overlooked again.
And, let's just throw this out on the table...I'm still single. At 27, almost 28. Look, I can spout off some verses and remind me and everyone else that God has a plan for me and there's someone out there and blah blah blah. It still bothers the hell out of me at times. Especially when the single people I know are dropping like flies. Dating someone, getting engaged, getting married. And here I am. Still here.
Oh, FYI, a little PSA- just because you're super happy and married and whatever, please don't start pushing your single friends to do online dating. It doesn't really make them feel all that great, even if they don't have a problem with online dating.
Anyway, finding contentment in my life is something I've been praying about and working on. It's so easy to start comparing my life to others and come up empty, even though my life is full and good.
This verse is now on my phone. It's helped me, and has almost become my prayer. Hebrews 13:5 has also been helpful, too.
Philippians 4:11
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
So, now tell me, what helps you be content in your situations?
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago

1 comment:
WHAT? You totally just shot a hole in my big plans to tell you that 'God has a better plan!' and 'good things come to those who wait!!'...are you saying that those things AREN'T HELPFUL!?!? Sheesh. ;) But for real- I hate that you're stuck in this season and feeling down about it all. Shockingly, I can relate quite a bit. I'm pissed on your behalf at the work stuff- not getting recognized for doing even better than the people getting recognized. That's lame. I'll join you in praying for some contentment and peace in your life. And in the meantime you owe us (or me, at least!) a triathlon re-cap! Been thinking of you!!
Post a Comment