Alright, y'all. I ran with my dogs last week at the park and let it be known that I will never do that again. I will walk them, yes, but never run them. Or at least not both at the same time.
Effing. Miserable. And if this weren't my blog and if I weren't trying to clean up what I say, I wouldn't say effing, either.
The only thing that made it bearable was my Eminem playlist.
Ace is scared of anything with wheels, so anytime a stroller or bike came by, he cowered or ran off to the side, getting me all tangled up.
Marley likes to stop, sniff, and pee every ten feet, so that's a pain in the butt.
But here's what really annoyed me: inconsiderate dog owners. Look, I know my dogs aren't perfect, but I try my hardest to keep them with me and away from other people.
I also really try hard not to let them go up to other dogs and sniff them. I know that's their nature, and some of you dog owners may disagree and say, well dogs need to interact with other dogs, blah blah blah. And I do agree with you- but I don't think a running trail at the park is the place to do that, for a few reasons.
1- You end up blocking the whole trail, and I think we can all agree that's rude. Especially if it's a busy time of the day.
2- There are dog parks in this area to take dogs and interact with them. I went to the park to run and exercise my dogs. I don't want to stop every time I pass a dog and let our dogs meet.
3- At the end of the day, dogs are still DOGS. I treat mine like my children, but I am reminded time and time again that they still have animal instincts.
When my brother got his dog, I kept it for the first few days until he could come get it. I thought it wouldn't be a problem at all because my two dogs have never, ever shown any aggression towards other dogs and get along just fine with any other dogs.
Well, I was wrong. My sweet, cowardly Ace was incredibly dominant and started two fights with Max. I had never seen that behavior before, and Ace just turned four. But he's a DOG and he will show dominance if he feels threatened.
And then, last weekend, my dog Marley got into a fight with Max. He has NEVER, EVER fought with another dog, ever. Or even showed an aggressive bone in his body. But, he's a dog, and he felt like he had to protect his territory.
Plus, you really have no idea what other dogs are going to be like. I would hope that someone with a really dominant, aggressive dog who doesn't get along with other people or dogs wouldn't bring it to a park, but you just never know with people.
So, listen, next time you take your dogs to the park...if you want to let your dog "meet" another dog, move out of the way of the runners and bikers. And just be wary of the fact that they are still dogs, okay people? Especially if you run into me! Ha!
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment