Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The One With The Triathlon

Well.  My triathlon was on Saturday, and y'all, it's a story.  I'm going to recap it starting from Friday night because I think that is important to the story.  Also, it's kind of long and detailed, but when I decided to do a tri, I went back and read all the blogposts about triathlons I could find to give me some idea of what I was getting myself into.  So...I thought I'd at least share my thoughts.

So Friday night my church had its 25th anniversary celebration.  I had already gotten my tickets a long time ago, but by the time this weekend rolled around I really didn't want to go because I knew it would be a long night.  I am glad I did because I love my church and I love our worship and I love where we are going as a church.  But I still didn't get home until ten pm.

Erin, my training partner/friend, came over not too long after that.  Since we had to leave crazy early, we just decided she would spend the night at my house.  Unfortunately, she was sick.  Like with a fever.  I told her she could back out and I wouldn't care, but she decided to wait and see how she felt in the morning.

We finally went to bed around 11 pm, which was not smart, but was unavoidable.

Our four am wake up call came way too early, and with it came rain.  SOOOO not cool.  The tri was rain or shine, and would only get called off with lightning.  Erin felt better, so we headed out around 4:30 am and made the hour and a half drive towards Peachtree City.

The closer we got to Peachtree City, the more it rained.  And then it started thundering and lightning, which did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for our nerves.  And it was crazy scary lightning- like we could see huge bolts of lightning go across the sky.  We honestly didn't even know if we should get out of the car when we parked.

But we did, and we unloaded our bikes and headed to the packet pick-up/sign-in area, got our numbers, our race issued swimming caps, and our chips.  At that point, we had heard nothing about whether or not it was going to be called off, but it was still pouring down rain and thundering and lightning.  We seriously contemplated just going back to my car and driving home, but we decided to at least go to the body marking area and then head to the transition area to get set up.

Oh, also, we totally forgot our ID's in the car and had to go all the way back to get them.  Don't do that.

Anyway, once we got over to body marking, they told us not to worry about it because the rain was making it really hard for the markers to stay.  Um, duh.  It was raining buckets....what did you expect?

So, we headed over to the transition area and got word that the swim portion was cancelled, but the bike and run would still go on.

It was here that I started to get a little excited.  One, that I wouldn't have to get in the water in that weather.  Actually, let's be honest, I would have left if they still asked us to do the swim after the lightning stopped.  Two, I was able to get my bike set up and drop my stuff off.  Three, adrenaline started pumping.

But, it was still pouring down rain.  The lightning had lessened, but it was still there every now and then to freak us out.  And here's something else Erin and I kept wondering.  NO ONE else seemed concerned with the fact that it was raining heavily and thundering and lightning.  No one.  Like, one girl asked us if it was still wetsuit legal while we were waiting to get our packets.  Who care about wetsuits if it is lightning, lady??

We ended up waiting in the transition area for probably an hour.  Erin and I stood around and chatted with some people around us, but for the most part we wondered why we ever thought this was a good idea.

Erin and I while we were waiting.  A few things: that shirt was not my first option for the triathlon,  I look like a GIANT compared to Erin, and there are no other pictures because it was pouring rain.


When our row finally started heading towards the start line, I got nervous.  Since this wasn't a regular transition from swim to bike, they had us line up two at a time and then send us out every three seconds.  It's what they apparently do at the swim.  This did make it really nice because it wasn't extremely chaotic when you started.

And that started my first supersprint triathlon...or, really, duathlon.  We biked for eight miles and then ran for two.

Here's the truth:

This race was the most miserable thing I've ever done.  I'd rather go through heel surgery again.  At least I got to be doped up for awhile.  It was seriously awful.

The rain, the lack of sleep, the thunder and lightning, the crazy hills that never ended, the rain, the soaking wet clothes, socks, and shoes, the puddles of water in my shoe, did I mention the rain...it all was an awful combination.

I wanted to cry for a good portion of it.  I really thought I was at one point, but then I realized it was just all the rain hitting my face.

I did not expect the course to be so hilly, and combined with our hybrid (not road) bikes, shoes that were full of water, soaking bodies, rain, and really challenging hills, I was way more exhausted by the end of the bike ride than I had ever been during training.

We actually trained for longer distances, so I thought I would be prepared.  And then the run?  My legs were shaking from the biking portion and I was soaking wet.  We had already planned to do intervals, but I had to walk a lot more than I had planned.

But, I finished, and got Gatorade and pizza at the end.  And a medal.  And a pretty sweet tech shirt.

Here's the thing...even with being so miserable, the actual event was extremely well organized.  I've enjoyed training.  I plan on looking at the cost of road bikes and investing in some tri shorts (that also would have really helped me be a tad more comfortable while being completely soaked).

We still plan on signing up for another triathlon in Athens in August.  I'm giving myself one more time to try it out.  I really think the weather and the lack of sleep were major contributors to why I was so miserable.  I've got plenty of time to train (and train for hills!).  If it still sucks in August, I'm done with triathlons.  If I love it, then I'm looking for another one.

So there it is.  It's done and it's over.  My first triathlon down in the books.

1 comment:

Erika said...

AHHHHH!!! Well this certainly sounds FUN...notttttt. What an adventure, though, for your first??! Sheesh. OK you do know that the 8/18 one in Athens is the one I'm doing, right?! BEST BLOGGER MEETUP EVER! 'Today I met Elise and we kicked ass on a triathlon.' Um, that's a lot better than meeting for coffee. ;) But at least the course here won't be hilly? That's GOTTA make it better, right? Ugh. You make me nervous, now!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS