Sunday, December 12, 2010

Joy

I had somewhat of an epiphany last night.  I volunteer at the children's service at our Saturday night campus and lead a small group of fourth graders.  Well, our Big Idea this month is Joy: Finding joy in everyday life when things don't go your way.  

God spoke to me last night through a service aimed at children.  It was bit humbling, to say the least.

On Friday, when I got home from work, I realized I haven't been very pumped up about Christmas.  It's my favorite holiday, after all.  With the stress of finishing up lessons and plans before the break, not to mention the holiday party on Friday, work is crazy busy.  Then it's that time of the year where you've got a holiday party or get together ALL THE TIME.  This week I have a get together with my small group on Tuesday, an ornament swap with my grade level on Thursday, and then a dinner party with some friends on Saturday.  That's just this week.  Oh, and then there's the fact that I have three presents purchased so far.  And way more that need to be bought.  And then let's throw in the fact that my mom is redoing the upstairs of the house and I volunteered to help her with that.  It's a busy month, to say the least.

And I haven't been able to find the joy in much these days.  

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that.  I've been living each day with the attitude of "Let's just get this done and over with."  I hate that.  Yes, a lot of times the true meaning of Christmas- Christ's birth- gets lost in the presents, parties, shopping, food, and whatnot.  

I've forgotten why we're even celebrating Christmas lately.  

I've forgotten to count my blessings. 

I've forgotten to find JOY in the everyday things in my life, even when my life is crazy busy and things don't go my way.

There are so many things for me to find joy in this holiday season.  Or any day for that matter.

My family

My friends


My animals

My students, who make me laugh with their hilarious comments

Jesus' birth

Giving to others

And so much more

I'm praying that for the rest of the holiday season I can find joy in every day life and not forget the meaning of Christmas.  I'm praying I won't get caught up in the little mundane things that can make holidays super hectic and miserable.  I'm praying that we all can find a little joy each day in our lives.

I hope y'all all have a wonderful, joyful Christmas season!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS