Friday, April 22, 2011

Book Review!!

Okay, so I'm really late in posting this.  I finished the book back in March (which seems like FOREVER ago).

Amazon.com
The Plot: Christopher is a teenager with autism.  He stumbles upon a neighbor's dead dog and begins a quest to find out who killed the dog.  He lives with his father and the book explains a lot about their relationship, as well as his relationship with his mother.

My Thoughts:  Overall, I liked this book.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading a book from the perspective of an autistic teenager.  I'm not autistic and not an expert, but I have taught and worked with autistic children.  Mark Haddon did an excellent job of portraying an autistic teenager.  

As far as the plot, there was something that Christopher discovered while he was trying to figure out who killed the dog and I so called it!  When Christopher made the discovery, I was not surprised at all.  I did have a few issues with the way the book ended- Christopher seems TOO accepting of circumstances.  

It oddly reminded me of the book Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore.  Very similar revelations and plot twists in both stories.  There's a text-to-text connection for ya. 

All in all, good book and good choice for our book club.  For awhile, we were choosing books that had very similar themes and characteristics (dysfunctional families, southern, sort of a "coming home and coming to terms" story).

I'll be back soon to review this month's pick!


2 comments:

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

I really liked this book! I did behavioral autism therapy as a part-time/summer job all through college, and Christopher's experiences/thought processes are so true-to-life.

ty said...

I LOVED this book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS