Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"No Self-Respecting Southerner Uses Instant Grits!"

I came across the blog A Blonde Ambition yesterday and she's got a fun little link up going this week.


And today's focus is on one of my FAVVVOOORRRRITE things ever, food and drink.

Food:

Now, I will be the first to admit that I'm terrible at cooking.  But I LOVE to eat.  And I love to eat Southern food.  Here's a few staples of the South:

-fried anything: okra (my personal fav), chicken, green tomatoes, pickles {Side note: my friend Jessica doesn't have Southern roots and she said she didn't know anyone else who actually had a deep fryer except my parents.  Well, duh.  How else are you supposed to have delicious fried food?} 
-cornbread
-low country boil (I guess this is really more a coastal thing)
-collard greens
-butter beans
-country fried steak
-boiled peanuts
-banana pudding
-sweet potato souffle
-grits
-pimento cheese

All pics via Google


Drinks:

Here's something crazy about me: I used to hate sweet tea.  Hated it.  I'd always drink water instead.  I don't know why.  And then one day, I smartened up and now it's my favorite drink ever.  Except, I only like it really sweet.  Like, two and a half cups of sugar per gallon sweet.  Here are some other Southern staples for beverages:

-sweet tea
-Coke 
-mint juleps 
-whiskey
-bourbon

And that's just a start.  Am I missing anything?

PS- Name the movie that this post title comes from...it's a good one!

4 comments:

Casey said...

Your food list has my mouth watering! I just bought some okra this weekend that I was going to oven-roast this week...hmmm, maybe that needs to go into the fryer instead :)

Anonymous said...

oh man I love fried okra! I'm not from the south ... but I could absolutely eat this food every single day.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

The movie quote is killing me. I want to say Steel Magnolias but I bet I'm wrong about the grits bit. MMM grits. I forgot to mention those in my list... dang there are a lot of foods I missed! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

Definingtabitha said...

OMG love the title of this post...that and My Cousin Vinny. :)

Defining Tabitha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS