Monday, March 14, 2011

Be Still

Oh my goodness, y'all.  I was walking my dogs yesterday and just felt so at peace.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous, my knee was feeling fantastic, and my dogs were so well behaved.  And it was Sunday and I had just watched several hours of NCIS.  But, I digress.

Anyway, I passed by this house with this dad playing softball or soccer or something with his kid.  And then I passed by this other house that just looked SO perfect.  Like a perfect family lived there.  Or else a really good landscaping company.

On my way back to my house, I smelled a grill going.  

All of it just reminded me of growing up and of family.  They are things I think of when I think of having a family- grilling out, spending time together, spending time outdoors, etc. (except, seriously, Lord only knows why a perfect looking yard reminds me of having a family- you know my butt ain't going to be out there doing yard work.  I DESPISE yard work.).

Living at home at 25 sure wasn't the way I had my life planned out, but then again, that was my problem- I seriously thought I was in control of my life.  Sure, I make my decisions that lead me down this path or that path, but I'm not in control.  Nope.  Not at all.  And the thing is, I don't want to be.  I've tried to be in control of my own life and it always blows up in my face.

Listen, when I started this blog, it was a way to express my thoughts, feelings, and document what was going on in my life at that time.  I definitely did not want it to turn into a spot to complain about me being single and living at home.  

Except that's my life right now and it SO has taught me a lot of things.  I'm so very thankful I am where I am right now.  And it's teaching me a lesson right now and I want to remember it in the future.  

So anyway, there I am walking down the street and this overwhelming peace came over me.  Like the Lord was telling me, hey, Elise, yeah, you're not married right now.  Yeah, you don't have kids.  You've got questions and doubts about your career, your future, your life.  But I've got a plan for you.  It'll happen, and if it doesn't, whatever I've got in store for you will be even better.  

Today, I was walking my dogs down the same street and the same kind of peace came over me again.  But then one of my favorite verses popped into my head and stayed there- Psalm 46:10.

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Really, that first part stuck out in my head.  Be still, and know that I am God.  As in, chill out, Elise, God's in control.  Just let him lead and everything will work out.

It's a lot easier said than done, but I'm trying.  

2 comments:

a. nicole said...

it's so awesome to have days like that.. now... just remember that feeling when you're having a not so inspiring day and you will have found the answer! this is such a great post.

Paula said...

What a great post, Elise! You are awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS