Friday, March 4, 2011

Book Review!

I'm in a book club, as I've mentioned before.  For our February meeting, I chose this book:


When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin

This was my first Charles Martin book and I can guarantee it will not be my last.  This book was so good!  Basically, Reese was married to a woman who had a hole in her heart that was killing her.  She was slowly dying and Reese devoted his life to saving her.

He became a heart surgeon and an expert on hearts and an amazing doctor.  Unfortunately, he is unable to save his wife and ultimately feels guilty for her death (don't worry, I'm not giving away anything important).

Anyway, Reese moves to Lake Burton in north Georgia to escape, but meets a precious little girl named Annie who has similar heart problems.  Reese had walked away from the life he knew as a doctor and Annie is convincing him to become a surgeon again, except she doesn't know it.  No one knows that Reese is the one who can save Annie.  

I really love this book.  I love the characters, I love how Reese's brother in law is a metaphor for God's unfailing love (or at least that's how I saw it), I love the story, I love the little girl Annie.  

I did have a few issues with the book.  Everything seemed to work out too perfectly.  The exact doctor Annie was looking for just happened to move to the exact same town and save her, not once, but twice? Then again, I guess God has incredible timing in real life, so a book can have it, too, right?

All in all, this book is fantastic!  Go read it.  I'm going to be reading more of his books, too.

Upcoming reviews:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (March's book club pick)

Boundaries in Dating by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townshend (a co-worker loaned me this book- we did a book swap- I'm reading this book of her and she's reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan!)

Has anyone ever read any of those books?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Elise! I am a new follower of yours and I love this post, I have read all of Charles Martins books and they are absolutely beautiful! Im so glad you love them! I love your blog by the way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS