I need to go to bed early tonight since it's back to the work grind for me tomorrow, but I'm prolonging it by writing a book review! I'm in a book club and have decided to review the book we choose to read each month. Except the book I'm going to review is not one of those books. Yet. We meet at the end of the month, so I'll review this month's choice then. (In case you are wondering, it is The Girls by Lori Lansens.)
The book I'm reviewing was an option I had been thinking about choosing when it was my turn (we rotate choosing the books), but I always ended up going with something different. Finally, since I had time over break, I picked it up at the local library and read the book.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
Quick Summary: CeeCee Honeycutt is a young girl growing up in Ohio with a dad who is never around and a mother who is a bit crazy, to put it mildly. When CeeCee's mother is killed by an ice cream truck, her dad decides to send her to live with her great-aunt Tootie in Savannah, Georgia. The book focuses on CeeCee's first summer as she gets to know her aunt, her aunt's cook, neighbors, and friends and as she comes to terms with her mother's death.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. CeeCee is a likable character and I felt really sorry for her at first. She goes through a lot by the time she is twelve, but she's a strong little girl. I felt like the book dragged a little at first, but by the time the end came around, I changed my mind. There's a lot a backstory and memories in the first part (when CeeCee is in Ohio), and I do believe the reader needs to know those stories to truly connect with CeeCee.
CeeCee lives with her great-aunt, so many of the people she comes in contact with are much older than her. There were four central women- her aunt Tootie, the cook Oletta (and Tootie's best friend apparently), and two neighbors, Mrs. Hobbs and Mrs. Goodpepper. I will say it kind of reminded me of Steel Magnolias, only one of the best movies and stories about strong Southern women and their relationships AND has the lovely Dolly Parton. Especially Mrs. Hobbs and Mrs. Goodpepper's relationship- it was very reminiscent of Ouiser and Claree's relationship.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book and I would definitely recommend it. If you're familiar with Savannah, you'll recognize and appreciate some of the places mentioned in the book.
(PS- Anna Kate, we still need to set up your blog and after doing this book review, I definitely like the idea of a book blog!!)

1 comment:
I wanna read a book blog. Please start one, AK, so I can read it!
Great review, Elise. Sounds like the perfect book for you with the ties to Savannah and Steel Magnolias!
Post a Comment