No, not Kanye West's workout plan. I'm really not the best person to ask about this. I mean, I can give anybody advice, but I don't follow my own advice.
Today's 11 in 2011 challenge is Favorite Work Out Tip.
Well, you probably hear this a lot, but set a goal that's reachable. I've been guilty of not doing this one. I'll have ridiculous expectations and then when I don't see results right away, I get upset and quit working out. I have committed to running a few 5K's this year. I haven't run a 5K since my freshman year of high school. I know to some of you hard core runners, that's nothing. But running a 5K without quitting or dying by May (the first one this year) is my reachable goal. I'm shooting for a half marathon in 2012.
Another tip that I've had a hard time learning is listen to your body. In high school, I pulled that muscle that's behind your knee (no idea what it's called). I didn't go to the doctor and still tried to run. Didn't happen. Early in 2010 (can you believe we can say last year now?), my right knee became ridiculously inflamed and swollen. It was hot and red and PAINFUL. I couldn't squat, bend, go up stairs or down stairs without serious pain. Clearly something was wrong with my knee and when I finally went to the doctor, I found out I have arthritis in my knee. After having my knee drained and a lovely steroid shot, I was good to go. I could even RUN. If I had just listened to my body, oh, about four weeks before that, my knee would have been much better, much sooner.
Just about a month ago, I was working out with my trainer after being sick for over a month. I had worked out some while I was sick, but for whatever reason, I couldn't do ANY of the exercises and weights he was having me do. Y'all, one was just a five pound bicep curl. I tried and tried, but just couldn't even finish eight reps of anything. My body was clearly not ready for that again, so we moved on. And what do you know, after another week or two of rest (and light exercise), I was back to my old self and had no problem with heavier weights and those exercises.
My point is, if you think something is wrong (and you're not a webmd addicted hypochondriac...although we've all been there- anyone else ever thought they've a parasite in the brain because of a headache? No, just me? Okay.), something probably is wrong. Don't push yourself if you're in serious pain because you just might make things worse.
And my last tip is work out with a buddy. You have someone to be accountable with, someone to make sure you don't cancel on your work outs, someone to tell you to shut up and get moving when your complaining becomes too much, someone to tell you to get your lazy butt in gear and start exercising, and someone to celebrate with when you reach your goal.
So there you go. I met a friend at the gym yesterday and I am glad to say I followed all of my tips! Well, sort of, I did get a chest pain, but it went away quickly.
I can't wait to see some of y'all's workout tips!


3 comments:
Great Tips.
Setting goals is so important. I've found that now that I do, I give up less than when I used to just work out. I also commit myself to things, like 5Ks to make sure I HAVE to continue. Haha
I'm glad you're feeling better and back to working out!
YAY 5Ks!
Great tips :)
Having a partner to exercise with is very important to me!
Post a Comment