Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Review!

As I might have mentioned before, I am in a book club.  It's nothing too fancy, just a couple of friends and myself.  But we've been meeting now for almost six months (wow!) and I have to say, I'm totally enjoying the book club.  

This month's pick was The Girls by Lori Lansens.


Quick Summary: Two sisters are conjoined twins and one of the sisters' decides to write their life story.  Rose, the writer, gets help from Ruby and we get both perspectives of major events in the girls' lives.  The bond between the two sisters is incredible and they love each other so deeply.

My Thoughts:  Overall, I definitely liked this book.  The author does a really good job of developing the characters, so I felt like I really knew the girls.  And I often forgot that they were conjoined.  It did take me a little while to get into the book (I did fall asleep after reading the first two chapters, but it was early, early Saturday morning) and sometimes I felt like the writing was too detailed and a little wordy.  But it wasn't enough to detract from the book.  I read this book in one day because I'm a super procrastinator and waited until the day of the scheduled book club meeting to read the book.  I don't recommend that, by the way.  

Anyway, you do forget the girls are conjoined most of the time.  Except in some really weird parts.  Like uncomfortable weird.  

My brother and sister are twins, and while they're clearly not identical (and it's always killed me when people ask why they don't look alike...uh, hello, they're boy/girl and fraternal- really just like any other siblings!!!), I've always wondered what it would be like to constantly have a friend and a buddy in the same grade and have that instant connection with a sibling.  When we were younger, they always got along better than I did with them and I would always wish for a twin that would side with me and be in my grade.  Except I couldn't imagine having them stuck to the side of my head or conjoined anywhere else. 

I just can't imagine that, seriously.  

The author does go into detail about how some things worked with conjoined twins, and that was pretty neat.  I think this book was definitely worth my time, but I wouldn't say it's now one of my favorites.  It was still a really good pick (nice job, Jessica!) and I'm glad to say I've read it.

It's my turn to choose the book for next month's pick and I'm torn between three titles!  I'm not going to mention it on here until I read the book and review it.  

What books are y'all reading right now?

2 comments:

Greer's Gossip said...

I love your blog!! I am a new follower! I love the idea of a book club! Thanks for the book review. I may have to check that one out!

Paula said...

Yay! I can't wait to meet about this book. I agree that it was interesting to figure out how some things actually worked for conjoined twins! I felt so close to them both by the end of the book and you are right, sometimes you forget they are twins!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS