Monday, August 8, 2011

My Classroom Tour

Since today is the first day of school for me, I thought I'd dedicate this post to something teaching related.

I'm not one who creates a theme for my classroom each year.  It's just not my style.  I love seeing other people's themes, but I just don't have the motivation in me to create an entire theme and run with it all year.

I do, however, color coordinate everything, so I do color coordinate my room.  Luckily, there have been TONS of things out in stores in the colors I use- black, green, purple, and blue!

When I walked into my room last Monday, I hadn't been up at school since the last day of post-planning.  My carpets looked tremendously better, but everything else was a hot mess.

I was so overwhelmed at first I laid down on the ground and just stared at everything, hoping that somehow they would start moving themselves.  It was one of several minor freak out moments this past week.

This is what I walked into

The arrow doesn't show up well.  

Storage cabinet, sink area (stained green thanks to a project I did last year)

My least favorite area...so much stuff!

Where I hoped to put my classroom library
In the end, I pretty much put everything back where it was last year.  I didn't have much of a choice.  I have four student computers and those can't really move from where they were because of internet drops, power supply, etc.  My computer is hooked up to the LCD and the Promethean board, so my computer had to stay near those two boxes.  And I have thirty desks and chairs.  Space is limited.

All thirty desks, chairs, and book sets ready to go for the first day!
In the corner, I have a monthly calendar and then my clip chart on the storage cabinet.  Next to the cabinet, sets of textbooks are on a shelf.  Those books don't get used enough to go in desks.  I don't use the book bag rack because it's not that sturdy.  So I have shoved a table underneath it.  I wish I could use it for a small group table, but only three kids can sit at it now.


My desk area- it takes up a little more space than I would prefer, but I don't really have any other options.

Sorry the picture is kind of blurry.  I've never claimed to be a great photographer!

Another view of the desks.  The blue pocket chart keeps my essential questions and right next to it, I post state standards.


I am most proud of this!  It is my book area.  This year, I plan on organizing my books into genres.  I actually plan on my students helping me.  I think that will give them a better idea of what a mystery book looks like, what a realistic fiction looks like, etc.  I also plan on keeping a tally chart of books that they finish in the different genres.  

I think I'm all ready for the first day of school!  I can't believe it's another school year!

For all you teachers, what does your room look like?  I love looking in on other teachers' rooms to get ideas!

6 comments:

Maressa said...

I hope your first day went well! I always feel really overwhelmed when I have to put everything back together after summer cleaning too. I don't usually do a theme either (I tend to be very functional and minimal). I think your room looks great and the book area looks very welcoming and organized. I'll try to post a photo of my room once I get it organized! Hope you have a great year!

Busy Bees said...

I think your room looks great. I love how you organized your books!! Have a great school year.
BusyBees

Rachel said...

Love the way your books look!!

Happy first day :)

Cortney said...

Very nice, it looks good. 'm jealous at the space you have...but then again you have way more students than me too.

Ginger Snaps said...

I love the idea of having your students help you organize your library! Genius. I organized mine this year and it took FOREVER!! lol The one man show was a horrible idea. Buuut, at least it's done for the future.

Think, Wonder, and Teach said...

I just found your site through the linky party and am a new follower. I love the idea of having the students help organize the library and graphing the genres they read. Thank you for sharing!

Misty
Think, Wonder, & Teach

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS