Anybody read this book?
| Sorry for the ghetto Amazon picture. |
I won't lie, this was not one of my favorite books I've read in our book club. It was a really hard read for me- it was just hard to get into the book and then hard for the book keep my attention. The author was extremely descriptive. Almost to a fault. And the first part of the book didn't really have much to do with the rest of the book, in my opinion, except to introduce the doctor. And he wasn't even a main character!
The other girls in my book club liked this book, but I just had a hard time liking the characters. I don't know how to describe Fermina, really. She is haughty and selfish and rude. I could go on about her, but I'd probably give away more of the book.
And Florentino is just a creeper. Straight up. He clearly has a sex addiction and he's kind of a pedophile. Okay, he is. Yet he claims to only love Fermina.
I suppose if you look at the fact that he waited over fifty years to proclaim his love for Fermina again, after a failed teenage romance, then that's sweet. Maybe. But the way it was presented in the book? I wasn't feeling it. He just came off as a creep.
And maybe it's sweet how things end up in the book (I won't spoil it for anyone who does want to read this book). I don't know how I'd feel if I was stuck on a boat for the rest of my life. Um, sorry, just gave away a little of it.
Has anyone read this book? Or are you planning to?
Let me know what you think of it!

No comments:
Post a Comment