Okay, so again, I'm, like, three weeks late with the times, but I finally saw The Help.
I'm in a book club and in addition to this month's pick, we all read The Help {see my review HERE} and made plans to see it after our book club meeting last night.
First, let's talk food. Because all good book clubs are centered around food.
I honestly, truly, 100% planned on making dinner for book club last night. We were meeting at my parents' house and I had offered to make dinner. I even chose something that was easy and I had made before- tacos.
Well, since I didn't get out of bed until 2 pm and they were coming over at 5 pm, and I still needed to go to the gym and go buy the stuff for tacos, my wonderful mom made the tacos.
Still, it was delicious. Plus, we had this dip that is SUPER SUPER SUPER easy to make. I'll get the recipe up in my next post.
Anyway, after dinner, we discussed this month's pick (I'll review it in another post) and then headed to the movies.
I ran in to two friends from my old small group and we ended up sitting next to each other at the movie. Neither of them had read the book, but I told them it was so good and they would definitely have to read it.
Let's talk about the movie.
It was spot on with the book. I mean, clearly, you can't include everything from a book into a movie, but what was included was perfect. It was nice having already read the book because I think you connected with the characters better.
I laughed and I cried and then laughed some more and cried some more. Minny and Miss Celia are, hands down, the best and most entertaining characters in both the book and the movie. I loved Skeeter and Aibileen, but without Miss Celia and Minny, I'm just not sure it would have been the same.
I could not even imagine growing up in a time like that. My heart hurt for the ignorance and the pain that was so common then and I know we don't live in a perfect world, but I'm so glad things have changed since then.
Seriously, if you haven't seen the movie or read the book, go see it and read it. You won't be disappointed!!

No comments:
Post a Comment